Windows Networking/Windows 7 network issue

Hello Hrire

I have a Win 7 laptop this is connected to our router via Bluetooth and is connected.  Also I have a PC Win 10 connected to the laptop via a network cable for access to the Internet,  all has been fine... 
A few updates from Windows..  and now my PC is not connecting to the laptop.
Router side is ok,  laptop is connected to it via Bluetooth
I am no tech,  please could you point me in the right direction
Many thanks

Hi Roger.

This might be a complex situation that could be more simplified?  So you have a router that is your internet gateway I assume and your laptop hooks to it via a bluetooth connection and works fine before and works fine now.

Normally, to get an independent PC to work, you wouldn't hook the cable to the laptop but would hook it to the router itself.  This allows it to directly get access to the internet from the router and not from the laptop itself.  That is normally the best way to do it - and it will likely just work.

Now, if the way you have it setup is what you really want to do, you will have to troubleshoot a few things:
-on the laptop with Windows 7, check firewall settings that ensure that the Windows 10 system is allowed access
-ensure that the Windows 10 system is getting an IP address assigned to it (i.e. - this would usually get assigned through the router, but the Windows 7 laptop might be assigning it through something called DHCP Server
-go into the updates of both Windows 7 and Windows 10 and try uninstalling the latest ones (by date) and see if that makes any difference.

Anyways, you will need to do some troubleshooting so try out a few things and feel free to get back to me if you need more help.

Windows Networking

Hrire Mikaelian

Windows 95/98/2000/XP/Vista/7 workstation and Windows 2000/2003/2008 server networking, Group Policy and wireless configurations. Have knowledge about workstation Ghosting, and also the ins and outs of hardware troubleshooting.

15 years of experience as a hobbyist and Senior Systems Administrator

BA, BCom in Information Technology Management. No IT certifications. However, I have taken several Windows, Novell and Networking courses.