Windows XP/how to eliminate double boot Win XP

Question
QUESTION: During re-installation of Win XP I got interrupted while installation files were loaded and I shut down the PC.

When trying the re-installation a second time, the installation files were again loaded and the full installation of the OS went well.

However it seems the first installation files are still there...
If I want to boot the PC then I get the choice between two OS :
a) the first OS is the one I completely installed
b) the second OS is the one which was interrupted and if I click this option it wants to continue the interrupted installation.

It is a little bit annoying to have to choose with each boot and my question is if the second option can be easily removed from the system.

ANSWER: Ferdinand:  probably the best way to get rid of the second (interrupted) instance of the OS is to edit the boot.ini file.  That's a file that Windows uses to determine which operating system to display during startup.  Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022, read the entire article and follow the instructions.  That should get rid of the unwanted OS.  Give it a try and let me know how it works out.

tommm

QUESTION: Dear Thomas
Sorry I have to come back with a second question because I am really new in this matter.
I openened Microsoft Support kb 289022 and it has a simple recommendation on how to delete the unwanted OS.

I tried
QUOTE
At the command prompt, type:
bootcfg /delete /ID#
Where # specifies the boot entry ID that you want to be deleted from the operating systems section of the BOOT.INI file (e.g. 2 for the second Operating system that is listed.
UNQUOTE

My boot.ini file reads as follows
QUOTE
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
UNQUOTE

The second OS can been seen easily...
My question : which is the exact wording which I should write after RUN and bootcfg /delete /
I tried ID2 or 2 only or I copied the full text of the second OS...but always without being able to delete it.

Answer
Ferdinand:  my concern here is that both OSes are identified with 1.  Look at your boot.ini file.  There is no #2.  I'm not sure if you enter the number 1 that it won't delete them both - and then you'll have no OS with which to boot.

Did you make a copy of the boot.ini file like the article said?

If you did, then I would suggest that you follow the instructions for checking the boot.ini file - i.e. the last part of the article.  Once you get the boot.ini file on the screen, manually delete the last line then save the file and reboot.

Again, a caution.  I'm pretty sure that the second line is the interrupted install. That's why it is important to make a copy of your current boot.ini file.

Let me know how it turns out.

tommm

Windows XP

Thomas Mihalik