Windows XP/Win XP reload Followup to the Followup

Once again there was no "Ask a Followup Question" box at the bottom of the page on your last response, so I had to start a new question.. Sorry.  I copied your response and will put it at the bottom of this page so you can refer to it more easily if you need to.   

No need to apologize for slow responses...I understand that you have a job and sometimes answering questions on AllExperts can be time consuming.  I have no real reason to have this problem fixed in a hurry, so it's no problem.   

Anyway, to answer your question, yes I do have a CD burner that came loaded with my computer and it is called "Sonic", and I have a bunch of blank CDs.  My computer is a Dell and was bought in 2004, so yes it is old.  I managed to find the copy of the Packing slip and it lists all the components they added to my computer.  I will give you the exact figures pertaining to memory from the says:   1024MB DDR SDRAM at 333MHz.  On down the page it has:  80GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA Hard Drive... I don't know if this information helps, but there it is.  If you need any further information I have it all listed on this packing slip.  

As for running a Backup, I found a Backup program in my Program list under the heading "AOL Computer Checkup", then "Tools", and it then gives a long list of functions like "Disk Cleaner", "Disk Optimizer", "Data Restore", and the one I tried... "Data Backup".  When I clicked on it I got a box that allowed you to access "Documents" and "Files".  The problem is, that once you click on My Documents it lists all of them, and you have to pick and choose each one you want to Back Up.  It does not give you the option to "Choose All", or at least I didn't see that option anywhere.  So picking each one adds it to a list to Back-up, and I have over 100 of them it would take awhile.  Is this the only way to do it?  Or is there another source besides AOL Computer Checkup to perform a Backup?  

Okay, now I want to ask your opinion... Since reloading my OS will require backing up my files, and reloading XP would be just the same as upgrading to Windows 7, correct?  Well except for having to buy the new CD..   But what I mean is;  both methods will be basically the same procedure when it comes down to it?  So in your opinion, would it be best to upgrade to '7', which I realize I have to purchase it to do this, while I can download XP for free..  But if you were in my shoes which would you do?

Thanks again for you help.

Gary:  yes, doing a backup is quite tedious.  It does take a lot of time.  But it is the only way to make sure you have a viable copy of your personal data.

You should have some software on the computer that will allow you to burn the CDs.  It would be a lot easier than the AOL thing that you described.

As for the issue of W7 or XP, it's what you feel comfortable doing.  I've heard good things about 7 and XP is a known factor.  In either case, it will require you to install an OS - your personal files will be unaffected in either instance.  You will have to reinstall your programs in either case.  If it were me, I would probably opt for XP - because it's free.  You are familiar with it and would not have to learn a new OS.

Sorry I could not have been more help.  Let me know what you plan to do and how it turns out.  Good luck to you.

Windows XP

Thomas Mihalik

Can assist with most issues involving XP - system configuration, drivers, recovery, home network set-up/maintenance and so forth. Can also help with issues like viruses, system cleanups and peripherals such as printers, external hard drives as well as other USB devices.

Was system administrator for over 45 users at a major research university in the Chicago area for 10 years (before I finally was able to hire someone to do it). Also have owned/configured computers for over 20+ years. Also volunteer locally to fix computers for seniors.

NACUBO SCUP United Way Humane Society

B.A. Humanities, Purdue M.S. Management, Purdue