Windows XP/Win XP reload Followup Question

Question
QUESTION: Tommm,

The screen where all of our corresponces appear did not have an "Ask Followup Question" box at the bottom so I had to start a new one.  

Anyway, I tried the links and the suggestions you offered and none worked.  They all gave me an error message saying "cannot find file", or "cannot access path or file", etc.  And when I downloaded the Printer Driver it went through normally, and I did a 'restart', but when I opened Printers and Faxes it did not show up, so it did not install.  

The program link you provided for sound drivers was a program that was supposed to identify your specific drivers that were missing and find ones to replace or update.  When I ran this it would not complete.  It gave another error message similiar to the one I mentioned above.

As for the "3 Links" I mentioned before... when you answer my question I receive an email notice.  In this email there is a link to click on, and when I click on the link it takes me to the AllExperts page with all of our previous messages.  At the top of this page are 3 blue highlighted Links to choose from, all related to the question you are answering, such as "Sound Drivers", Windows XP drivers, etc.  I've noticed that each time I come to this page the links are different.  So thats what I was talking about.  

So, after trying to load updates, drivers, and my printer a few times and failing, do you think it's my Windows XP missing something that is keeping them from loading?  Or what do you think about upgrading to Windows 7, or 8?  I have been happy with XP for many years and hate to change, but at this point I'm ready to try anything.  

Thanks for your patience!
Gary

ANSWER: Gary:  sorry for the tardy response.  Yes, I think something is missing in XP.  Unfortunately, I don't know what.  Loading the drivers should have allowed the devices to work.

Have you tried to manually adding the sound card and printer through Device Manager?  If you don't know how, I can walk you through it.

It looks like a reinstall of the OS, though I truly dislike that option, may be the only way out.

You mentioned that you were looking for your product key.  There are a number of programs out there that can find your product key.  I just did some looking and came up with this site:  http://pcsupport.about.com/od/productkeysactivation/ss/mjbkeyfindersbs.htm.  It seems somewhat involved and it may be more trouble than it's worth.

I also came across some random product keys.  Don't really know if they will work.  They are:  QW4HD-DQCRG-HM64M-6GJRK-8K83T and HKXGX-99BKJ-KR3JG-6WPRP-7TX7W.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.  Let me know which way you decide to go.  Good luck.  And, enjoy.

tommm

QUESTION: Tommm,

Just a couple of comments:   You mentioned manually adding a sound card and printer through Device Manager..  Well when I go to Device Manager it gives me an empty box.  There are no devices listed, and no list in the box with names of drivers with pluses or minuses next to them.  I know what it looks like because I have seen it before, but for some reason everything has been erased.   

I downloaded and ran the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder and have written down my Product Key.  It wasn't as involved as they make it appear with all the "steps" they list.  But one thing did keep popping up while I was downloading it.  A small box kept popping up that said, "Runtime error (at 138:47). Could not call proc. "  It had a box to click with "OK" in it, so when I clicked OK the box disappeared and the download would continue, but the same box kept popping up time after time, and I continued to click OK until the download completed.  Once it got done I ran it and a list of information about my Windows XP appeared in a box, including the Part #, the Product ID, and the CD Key #, which is my product Key.   

Now all I have to do is find a copy of Windows XP.  Do you know of any 'reliable' source online to download XP?  I have looked and I can't seem to find a link for it, only updates or certain drivers.  I suspect I may be missing a lot more than just my sound and printer.  I would definitely like to reload XP and see if that will fix the problem, or at least to allow me to reinstall my sound and printer.  At this point I am willing to give it a try, and if that doesn't work I may be forced to take it in for repair.  I was just wanting to save some money by trying it myself.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Gary

ANSWER: Gary:  if you're game, here's a link to find a copy of XP that actually resides on your hard drive.  It is:  http://www.wikihow.com/reinstall-windows-xp-without-the-cd.

Now, keep in mind this will wipe your hard drive completely, meaning you will lose all files and programs that you have added.  If you want to enter this brave new world, you will need to backup all your personal files - documents, music, pictures, etc.  Use the File Transfer Wizard that's included in XP.  Once you have backed everything up, then have at it.  Also - you might want to write down the programs that you have downloaded so you can go find them after the reinstall of the OS.

As I said in an earlier post, I don't like reinstalling the OS.  But you do not appear to have any choice.  But I would definitely give it a shot as opposed to taking it in for repair.  Once you back everything up, you really have nothing to lose trying the install.  And quite frankly, the repair folks would probably do the same.  You can screw it up for free.  If it doesn't work, spend the 99 bucks to get the Windows 7 upgrade.  It'll still be cheaper than a repair shop.

Good luck.  let me know what you decide and how it turns out.  Again, sorry for not being more of a help.

tommm

QUESTION: Tommm,

Just curious about something..  I've been giving this a lot of thought and wanted to ask a few more questions...

If I decide to upgrade to Windows 7 do I still have to Uninstall Windows XP?  I think an upgrade may be the way to go as I have heard over the years that one of the inherent problems of Win XP is that it is "sluggish", and all along I thought it was my computer that was slow.  Have you heard anything good or bad about Windows 7, and do they have most of the bugs worked out by now?  

Another thing is that I'm not really sure how to do a 'backup'.  Maybe you could explain how to do this?  I have some blank CDs for my CD Drive as well as some of those smaller, square plastic "discs" (not sure what they're called) for that drive as well.  Which of these is best for doing backups?  And once I copy them to disc, how do I go about reloading them once I get my OS reloaded?  

Thanks.

Answer
Gary:  once again, sorry for the tardy response.

Windows 7 would be a reasonable choice.  As an OS, it is pretty stable.  I have heard a lot of good things about it.  If you decide to do that, you do not have to unistall XP.  Just plop the disc in your CD drive and follow the prompts.  Again, this will wipe out your existing files and programs.  I have found a very good tutorial on this process.  Go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-wi and read the whole tutorial carefully.  Also - you will need to know how much memory is installed on your machine.

As for a backup - it is the process of copying your personal files (word documents, spreadsheets, pictures, music, etc. to some sort of media - usually CDs or DVDs.  (BTW - those square things are called floppy disks.  They only hold 1.44MB of data.  They are pretty useless these days.  That box of yours is definitely old.) You will need to have some disc burning software to do this.  Do you have any installed?

The basic premise is to take all the stuff in My Documents and copy it to disc.  The process is program-specific, meaning Brand A will have one sequence, Brand B will have another, and so forth.  Anyway, the general idea is to burn a data CD through the program.  Once that's done, you can start the new OS install.

Let me know about the memory and burning software when you can.  Enjoy.

tommm  

Windows XP

Thomas Mihalik