Windows XP/Maintenance

Are programs like PCMagic helpful in troubleshooting and tuning a PC?
Thanks, Tom

Tom:  like the name :-)  Short answer is no.

You can do virtually the same thing for free with the tools already available through XP (plus a few other things you can get for free).  The best thing you can do is defrag the hard drive and then run disk cleanup.  I use a freebie registry cleaner - Eusing Free Registry Cleaner (can be had from  I also use two free malware/spyware tools - Malwarebytes ( and Spybot (

Most of a computer's performance issues revolve around registry, hard drive and malware issues.  Once those are cleaned up (using readily available tools), you will usually notice marked performance improvements.  Don't pay for stuff that you can get for free.

Windows XP

Thomas Mihalik

Can assist with most issues involving XP - system configuration, drivers, recovery, home network set-up/maintenance and so forth. Can also help with issues like viruses, system cleanups and peripherals such as printers, external hard drives as well as other USB devices.

Was system administrator for over 45 users at a major research university in the Chicago area for 10 years (before I finally was able to hire someone to do it). Also have owned/configured computers for over 20+ years. Also volunteer locally to fix computers for seniors.

NACUBO SCUP United Way Humane Society

B.A. Humanities, Purdue M.S. Management, Purdue