Windows XP/printer spool

Question
QUESTION: My printer stopped working, I installed new ink cartridge , computer doesn't recognize the printer and will not let me add my printer back in the system.  i keep getting the error  " printer spool service not turned on "  I am clueless please help
Everett Peacock

ANSWER: Everett:  sounds like the print spooler is turned off.  To fix this, click start, then run.  Type in services.msc then return (enter).  You should see a list of things. Scroll down to find print spooler.  Right click on it and select properties.  Click the start button.  Also, make sure the startup mode is set to automatic.  Click OK and you should be good to go.

Let me know if this works.  Enjoy.

tommm

QUESTION: thanks for the reply...tryed your suggestion and here is what I found out..it says could not start printer spooler service on local computer....
ERROR  1068  the dependency service or group failed to start...

What now....

Thanks
Everett

it is set on automatic..

Answer
Everett:  OK, now try this:

In order to fix the dependency information for the Spooler service.
Click Start, Run and type the following:
CMD /K SC CONFIG SPOOLER DEPEND= RPCSS

I've also found a pretty decent article on printers and diagnosing the issues.  Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000007 for more info.

Let me know what happens.

tommm

Windows XP

Thomas Mihalik