Windows XP/T14 IBM Thinkpad

Question
Hello, Yesterday, I was making a CD of my mom's favorite Broadway show tunes for her birthday. I had put in a blank CD and for some reason, my computer was running slowly so I was not able to open ITunes. Instead, I opened up Windows Media Player and started adding songs. I then opened up Google Chrome to browse the web while I burned the CD. Suddenly, my laptop said it had to shut down for some reason and then started to restart no problem. It went to the main IBM Thinkpad screen then, on the next screen, it said "A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"
I did and then it went through the cycle. I tried accessing through the blue Access IBM button, took the CD out, tried basically everything. My parents have also tried accessing safe mode but cannot find a way to do it. We think it may be that my hard drive might have crashed or the operating system can't work. I hope you can find a way to help. Thank you very much. Bye.

Answer
Hello Kaylie how are you doing

try doing the following

when you start the latop press the blue access ibm button , then enter the "start setup utility"
this will take you to the bios , reset the bios to default settings 'there should be an option to do that then reboot if it worked then go if not get back again into the setup utility and check if the hard drive is detected within the bios if not then the hard drive is bad , if it is detected then probably the os got corrupted and need to be reinstalled.

which operating system does it have ? windows xp windows vista windows 7 ?  

Windows XP

Saed Shawwa