Windows XP/windows xp

Question
in downloading avast virus protection on my emachine it  unexpectedly shut down and on restarting the xp logo is followed by choices of restart normally, command prompt, and a couple of other things none of which work when chosen by scrolling to each of them. Avast tried on the phone to fix it with no success.    The discs from my HP are not compatible to reload xp, nor is the old windows 98 I used years ago with my old Acer computer to upgrade from Windows 95.  Is there a disc to reload xp available or is there some way to download it using a second computer?

Answer
Hi clem,

What happens when you select those options? Does it restart or show you other messages?

Just to confirm, did you also try loading the last known good configuration or Safe Mode? If you can get into Windows using either of those methods, you can use it to remove Avast if it's causing problems.

You will need the XP CD if you want to reinstall it. You can power up your computer and see if there's any prompt to do a restore. Some computers are loaded with a recovery partition in case something like this goes wrong and you don't have the disc (or not provided by them).

Kevin.

Windows XP

Kevin Hou