Windows XP/creating icons/shortcuts on desktop

Question
Hi David-

Hope this falls within your "categories".
I'm on an older style Dell Dimension Desktop. XP
My problem is that whenever I try to create an icon/shortcut on my desktop the result is often not functional. The icon created doesn't come up "Youtube.com". (for instance)

Instead it will say file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Steve%20Pass desktopree%20Resume%20Search%20and%20Candidate%20Sourcing%20-%20Recruiting.com.htm.

What then happens is that the page looks very barebones not like the regular webpage and anything functional on the page such as a search engine or video does not function.

I don't know if it's relevant but upon some reading I've heard someone mention that their shortcuts are being "embedded" and that's the problem. Not sure if that applies here?

Am I making any sense with my question?

Cheers,

Steve P.

Answer
First copy the url from the browser window then go to desktop
Empty area right click go to create a new desktop icon paste it into the
Box and it should come up whenever you hit the icon. Always works for me.
Dave
Since you’re in NY as myself there may be other things I can do for you
Such as extra help on your troubles by phone or e mail and other things I do
Such as electronic repairs upgrades and repairs on computers, networking,
Copies and editing from all media such as tapes, records, video, recordings.
Music and vocals all at a very reasonable price with all noises removed and put into tracks better than an over the counter disk if you could get it at all. E mail is dav1934@aol.com Phone 718 275 3505 any time is OK.
Dave

Windows XP

David Cohen