Windows XP/Windows XP installation question...

I recently bought a used Dell XPS 410.  The guy had Windows 7 on it, but I think it was a bootleg version...and I wanted to install Windows XP anyway.  So I used Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) to wipe the hard drive.  (I used the PRNG Stream method, and it took just about all day.)   And now...when I put my Windows XP cd in and try to load it, I can't.  I get the following message:

Device Driver Not Found:  'OEMCD001'
No valid CDROM device drivers selected.
The Windows Setup Files were not found.

The computer has both a DVD Rom drive, and a DVD R/RW drive.  And I've also tried to boot using a USB CD drive, but get the same message.

Any suggestions/advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: David:  first of all, who's gonna win tonight?  :-)

Looks like all references to your CDROM drive have been wiped out.  The computer doesn't recognize that you have a CDROM drive.  Probably corrupted registry.

I did some snooping and came up with the following:  Scroll down the page to find the XP solution.  Are you comfortable monkeying around with the registry?  If not, then let me know and I'll see if we can find something else.

Let me know how it works out.

QUESTION: I expect Alabama to win, but I do believe it's going to be a very good game.  ND has a strong DL and linebacking corps...and I think it will be a hard-fought, close game.

I don't mind monkeying in the registry, but my problem is...I've erased the hard drive, and don't have any operating system at all now.  I can get to the A: prompt (which is the DVD drive that I've got my Windows installation disk in)...but I don't have anything else on the hard drive.  Is there a DOS command I could enter at the A: prompt that would begin the Windows installation?

David:  there are a whole bunch of DOS commands that may launch it - setup, startup, install, autorun, etc., etc.  But I'm not sure if anything will work if the CDROM drivers are not installed - because it may not recognize any media.  Put the media in and type dir.  In the DOS world, this command will give a a list of all the files contained on the media.  If it will read the CD, you want to look for a .exe (i.e. executable file) that begins with setup. That command will be in the root directory and shouldn't be in any folder.  I just pulled out my XP Pro CD (circa 2001)and the executable file name is setup.exe.

Assuming it will read the CD, clear all the error messages.  When you get to the A prompt, type setup.  If the stars are aligned correctly, the install will begin.  Let me know what happens.

BTW - I turned the game off after Bama scored its second TD.  ND doesn't have the offensive firepower to get back into a game against a really good defense.

Windows XP

Thomas Mihalik

Can assist with most issues involving XP - system configuration, drivers, recovery, home network set-up/maintenance and so forth. Can also help with issues like viruses, system cleanups and peripherals such as printers, external hard drives as well as other USB devices.

Was system administrator for over 45 users at a major research university in the Chicago area for 10 years (before I finally was able to hire someone to do it). Also have owned/configured computers for over 20+ years. Also volunteer locally to fix computers for seniors.

NACUBO SCUP United Way Humane Society

B.A. Humanities, Purdue M.S. Management, Purdue