Windows XP/windowsxp

I bought a used 2go PC, one of those netbooks kids use in school.  It has a fresh install Windows XP Home Edition with service pack 3. It has a Intel Celeron M processor.  It has a 40gb hard drive and it has 2gb memory.  
   I have used Asus, HP and Dell netbooks with less memory and Win7 and they run tremendously better than this 2go PC.  Even with 2gb memory it is very slow.  Video is very choppy. Even the Winxp doesn't fit the screen.
    I don't know what to do.  Would putting Windows 7 on it make it better?  could it be the Avast Virus on it that slows it down?
    Right now it seems unusable.  I want to put Microsoft office on it and use it for typing, email and internet search but all three are not good.  What can I do?

First thing I would try would be to uninstall that virus scanner. Those are awful at slowing down your computer - especially older ones. See if that works.

Then, try removing any non-essential programs and services from Startup. Reboot and see if that helps.

Then, you could try a fresh Windows install. XP is probably your best bet on the older machine. If not, you could try 7 or 8.

Finally, if all else fails, it could be bad hardware. Perhaps the machine is just on its way out.  

Windows XP

Richard Rost

I am happy to answer any questions about how to USE Microsoft Windows XP. Also, please be sure to check the Windows Tips & Tricks and Windows XP Tutorials sections of my web site.

I have been using Windows XP since it first came out. I have been teaching Windows (all versions) in the classroom since 1994, and online through computer tutorials since 2002.

I have been volunteering on AllExperts in the categories of Microsoft Access, Visual Basic, and Weight Loss for many months now.

I have created a line of computer tutorials online at and

Personally, I am self taught. I've learned everything I know from books and trial & error. If I don't know the answer, I know how to find it.

I have over 20,000 happy clients worldwide.