Windows XP/winxp

Question
   I bought a used 2go PC, one of those netbooks kids use in school.  It has a fresh install Windows XP Home Edition with service pack 3. It has a Intel Celeron M processor.  It has a 40gb hard drive and it has 2gb memory.  
   I have used Asus, HP and Dell netbooks with less memory and Win7 and they run tremendously better than this 2go PC.  Even with 2gb memory it is very slow.  Video is very choppy. Even the Winxp doesn't fit the screen.
    I don't know what to do.  Would putting Windows 7 on it make it better?  could it be the Avast Virus on it that slows it down?
    Right now it seems unusable.  I want to put Microsoft office on it and use it for typing, email and internet search but all three are not good.  What can I do?

Answer
Hi Don,

Have you tried running a defrag on it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

Since it's used, I suggest reinstalling Windows XP on it and start fresh. Make sure you have all the drivers to install back since XP doesn't detect most hardware automatically like Windows 7 does.

If you have another license for Windows 7 and want to try using it on this netbook, you can give it a try. It should be able to handle Windows 7 but don't expect too much out of it since this is an older netbook. I've seen cases where an old PC can run Windows 7 without much problems.

Kevin.

Windows XP

Kevin Hou