Windows XP/apps not working

Question
I have windows 8 and when trying to get on line or clicking on any app there is a message that reads,"The application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command inline sxstrace.exe tool for more detail". I didn't grow up with computers so I'm not very savy with it. So what can you tell me? Thanks.

Answer
Hello Al
we are going to try the easiest way to fix that before we go deep in other solutions
do a system restore check the website below and follow the instructions in option two

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4692-system-restore-how-do-windows-8-a.html
when you follow the instructions and you get to step 10 , choose a day were you didn't have a any problems running any application " for example if that issue happened today 12/24/2013 choose a date before that for example 12/6/2013 or 11/26/2013" and continue with instructions

hopefully that fixes the issue
have a good day and happy holidays.  

Windows XP

Saed Shawwa