Windows XP/delete,download, empty folder not work

Question
Gmail noted that it no longer supports explorer 7 although it was working fine so I downloaded explorer8,  This created a missing section on the left side of gmail which was lacking all but prior contact list so I reinstalled 7.  Since then the delete key, empty folder don't work, nothing will download, and the restore to an earlier time will not go back to the previous month to fix this.  Everything else seems to be working normally.At some point I also used the disc cleanup feature but I think it was only done after this happened--stupid not to remember exactly but trying different things around the same time, I just don't remember.  Evidently there is something corrupt with xp--is there a way to fix it without reinstalling the whole thing?

Answer
Hello Clem how are you doing

reinstalling Internet explorer 8 should fix the problem again or Internet explorer 7 after you reinstall one of then and reboot open internet explorer and goto tools internet options advanced and click reset internet explorer settings , that should reset internet explorer values to default make sure to check the box to delete personal settings, then try it out

if it didnt work click on start menu then all program then accessories then command prompt
type in command prompt sfc /scannow and hit enter let it check for corrupt files and when done reboot and then reinstall IE again " you may need to insert windows xp cd.

if that didnt work too you can always use a different browser such as firefox you can get it from www.mozilla.com or google chrome from www.google.com/chrome

if you need more help please feel free to contact me back anytime
good luck.

Windows XP

Saed Shawwa