Windows XP/NTLDR compressed

Question
QUESTION: Hi
I am getting the message NTLDR is compressed Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart when I try to log on to my Compaq Presario computer. I do not have the HP Recovery Tools CD or Compaq Recovery CD as the software was preinstalled and the shop didn't/wouldn't give me a disk when I asked for one. I have tried the advice available on the net and facebook but when I try the alternative steps to decompress (for when you don't have the disks)and I enter 'compact ntldr /u c:
tldr' it says that "compact' is not recognised as an internal or external command. I also can only get cdMiniNTsystem32 and not cdwindowssystem32 up. The OS is Windows XP and the problem started suddenly. Any suggestions muchly appreciated. Thanks

ANSWER: Hello Mike,

They will be no other way but performing a "HP Destructive Recovery" or rather a forceful format. This will wipe your hard-drive and perform a HP Restore by reinstalling the Operating System.

But first try and perform a recovery by booting into it by restarting the PC whilst holding down F10 button. This will allow you to reinstall the Operating System.

Give it a try please.

Lenny.

QUESTION: Hi Lenny

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried the Destructive Recovery but when the system rebooted, it came up with the same error message that the NTLDR was compressed. I think I may have sourced an XP system disk so will try to recover things from that and will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Mike

ANSWER: Hello Mike,

Try and search for it, much better. Hoping to hear from you.

All the best,
Lenny.

QUESTION: Hi Lenny
I tried using the Recovery disk and got most of the way through the process but the screen came up with D:\>attrib -C NTLDR Cannot change the compression attribute for the specified file or directory.
I only have one directory and that is D.
Any suggestions of what I can try next?

Mike

Answer
Hello Mike,

Apologies for taking some to respond as I have been away. Mike the only option left for you is getting the actual disc from the 3-rd party traders. This I believe would revive your spirit and the machine's too. Some of the discs from these sellers are 2-nd hand and completely re-usable. But you only have got to be careful when selecting the actual disc from the list that is available.

I understand the state of discomfort and let-down spirit when someone has got nothing else or nowhere else to run to in case the only machine he/she's got 'grows ears'.

I have tried to look up for them and have got an example of one below;

HP RECOVERY DISC

Be completely careful on the part of selecting the Model.....

I wish you all the best of luck and please forgive my late response, Mike.

Take Care and Good Luck.

Lenny.

PRIVATE to PUBLIC

Windows XP

Lenny