Windows XP/USB format problem-virus?

QUESTION: Hello David,

USB format problem-virus?  

Please can you help with the following problem? I used to be able to read information on my USB memory sticks. However, every time I place my USB sticks into the USB ports on my HP laptop (Compaq nx6125) an obstructive message appears which says: The disk in drive E is not formatted. Do you want to format it now. This message appears every time. If you click yes it never completely formats the USB memory sticks.  

I can read the information on these same memory sticks using other computers. The drivers have been updated on my laptop but this does not solve the problem. Yes, I am using a XP system.  I have attempted to solve this problem for about 4 months now. The USB connections used to work well and I could previously read information on the memory sticks. Only a computer mouse will work in the 3 USB ports now.

Please can you help?

Kind regards,

ANSWER: That happens to me once in awhile also. see if the drive is
on my computer if yes then maybe a virus on the drive.Try another flash drive
If it still happens then its in the PC. Run chkdisk.Enter the bios and reset to default.

QUESTION: Hello, David,

Thank you for your valuable guidance. I followed the recommendations and it appears almost definitely there ia a more resistant virus on the HP computer.  

Entered BIOS (computer setup) on the HP computer using the function key: F10.  The procedure followed was:

File> Restore defaults > Press F10 to accept, then Save changes and Exit.

After checking my USB memory stick in one of the USB ports, the format error message still appeared. Repeated the restore defaults process in BIOS several times and the problem still remained after rebooting each time. Previously, on the same day, this USB memory stick worked correctly in a different computer.

Is there a free virus removal software tool, that you think is worth trying on the internet, to remove this type of problem please?

I just want to see if I can remove the virus first, before resorting to a full re-loading of Windows XP software.

Kind regards,

I don't think its a virus. you can download free Microsoft security
essentials free I don't recommend using 2 anti virus programs so if you have
another you need to uninstall it.however I have a program that I can
e mail to you thatmight do the trick.e mail me at
and i will send it to you.

Windows XP

David Cohen

I can answer questions on all Windows operating systems such as Crashes and recovery, virus removal, networking, programs, such as word, Games, freeze ups, installations, boot up troubles, hardware, and more. I am Microsoft certified on all operating systems up to windows 7 You should understand not all troubles can Be fixed through text. Sometimes I need to Have the PC in front of me. Even with text My success rate is 98%.

I have been repairing, installing, and working steady in this field since 1998. my success rate is 99%

PC world

Graduated from Cooper union degree in computer technology Audio and production engineering.

Queens College setting up an internet radio station

Too numerous to put here