Windows XP/windows 7

Question
I have an ACER laptop with Windows 7 that is aa few years old that the whole family uses. Several weeks ago I turned it on and it was doing a huge update. Something like 64 files and ever since then it doesn't seem right. Today I clicked on a link that I looked up from the local newspaper and it completely jamed for almost a minute. The mouse would not move or anything and screen switched to desktop without icons. Finally it returned to normal but that has never happened before.  I pressed ctl,alt and delete to open task manager and I see that there is 72 things running. I did this several times over the past couple weeks and get the same result. This seems like a lot as if I remember right my last computer only has about 30 as well as the one at work. Even trying to do spelcheck here all I get is a blank screen. What do you think?

Answer
windows genuine advantage) is what screws it up. If your copy in the PC is genuine
It should not have caused any trouble but it can, A system restore
May work. KB971033 is the offender. If that donít work you
may have to Format and reinstall windows. I know of no other way
to fix it.
If you have a disk for win 7 with key numbers then it is genuine;
If not there may be a shadow copy on the PC you have to boot
To that.F11 or 12 held down during boot.  

Windows XP

David Cohen