Windows XP/end program

I have two older computers about 7 yrs old both of which refuse to end a program in a reasonable time.  After waiting a couole of minutes I get fed up and shut off the power which I hate to do. I don't know if the program will eventually end if it ever will because my patience is limited.  On the one I can eventually get to task manager and shut it down after hitting ctr alt del multiple times but the other one doesn't even do that any more. I do regular scans, defrag, cleaning out recent history and cookies and the boot time on them is really long in spite of having DSL.  I also use the windows program to clean and repair by going to my computer, right clicking and ordering the repair and defrag which doesn't seem to do much good.  I wonder if the processor in the older computers could be the problem in part since the websites are probably geared to the newer faster ones these days?  Thanks.

Hello Clem. Let me make a few things clear. I've noticed a bunch of people thinking their Internet speed makes the computer faster when it in fact does not have anything to do with it. I'll probably end up editing my "reason to ask me your computer questions" section of Allexperts with part of what I'm going to tell you.

The Internet speed you have will not affect the speed of anyone's computer at any given time (unless it is dial-up due to locking up waiting on ACK traffic). The computer would be the same speed if you disconnected from the Internet completely. The reason why your computer is really slow is likely the cause of multiple things. You most likely are suffering from a bunch of junk piled up in your computer. Junk is used in terms of bloatware and startup programs that you don't even know are running on the computer, massively slowing down the computer.

Please follow the below in order for best results:

First, I want you to uninstall everything on your computer you do not use. Then restart after everything has been uninstalled.

Next I want you to download CCleaner from (where it says "Download from:", just click "")

Install the program just downloaded. Open it. It should ask to auto-detect cookies blah blah blah. Click Yes. Now the program is open. You should already be on the "Cleaner" tab.

Where you see all the check-boxes, select EVERYTHING except "Network Passwords", "Start Menu Shortcuts", "Desktop Shortcuts", "Menu Order Cache", "Window Size/Location Cache", "Custom Files and Folders", and "Wipe Free Space". Do NOT run the cleaner yet. Now up top you should see a tab for "Applications". Click it.

If you use Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, or Opera, you will see it on this panel. If you use one of them regularly, you can choose how to check the boxes. Whatever you do, don't select "Compact databases" on any of them. Everything else is to be checked. Now click "Analyze" at the bottom. Let it do it's thing. After it is finished scanning, look at how much junk it found to be removed and bask in glory, then click "Run Cleaner" and watch it go away. If your computer had a lot of stuff, it might take a while.

Now that that step is done, click the Registry tab at the left. Everything is selected by default. Unselect "Unused File Extensions", then click "Scan for Issues". This list will probably be huge. Once it is done scanning, click "Fix selected issues...". You will be asked if you want to make a registry backup. In all my years of using the program on hundreds of computers, I've never had a reason to revert the registry, so just click "No".

Do the scan two more times. These next two times will clear the dead end keys caused by the recently deleted keys. These scans are very quick in comparison and should take only 5 seconds at most.

Next, click the Tools tab. Here you will be brought to the Uninstall sub-tab of the Tools tab. You can uninstall your programs you don't use from here just like you would without having this CCleaner program. It's just good to know for future cleaning. Click the "Startup" sub-tab. If you've had a lot of junk on your computer, expect this list to be moderately big (over 10-20 items).

In this tab, look for the ******.exe (i.e. jusched.exe) names in the list, located near the end or at the end of the File path (i.e. C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskswitch.exe). Google each item in the list and do a few sentences of reading. is one of the best places to get the information on each of these file names. Here's an example (and one you most likely have anyways) .

Whatever you do, do NOT disable anything relating to drivers. Drivers are required to make your computer fully function. Thing to disable are things like Windows Messenger, Java update scheduler, iTunesHelper, etc. You do not need anything but drivers to startup the computer from this list. You can keep whatever you like, but it's recommended to run with the least needed. And if you think you'll need it later, you can either manually start the program it coincides with, or turn the option back on later.

If you are uncomfortable with making these decisions in this list, send me a picture/screenshot of the list and I'll tell you which ones to disable, delete completely, or leave alone.

All in all, your computer should SIGNIFICANTLY increase in speed after all these steps. The last step being most effective. Not only should the computer be faster, but if you got rid of all the junk, you should also no longer have to deal with those programs failing to end on their own. It would be almost as good as a new computer when all these steps are done correctly.

Hope this helps, have a great day!

Windows XP

I can answer most questions regarding installation of Windows XP, speed optimization, recommended minimal installation specifications, any hardware issues you may encounter, dual booting, best anti-virus software to go with without spending a dime, and much more. If you'd like to dual boot any Linux OS with your Windows XP, I can guide you through that as well. If it is not related to Windows XP, please choose another expert who can help you.

Experience includes repairing hundreds of desktops and laptops, upgrading some computers from Windows 7 or Vista to Windows XP (yes, this is actually an upgrade), using Linux operating systems for data recovery, diagnosis and more! I've also done capacitor repairs on motherboards with a high success rate. I regularly speed up customers computers to like new speeds or faster

Associates of Science in Computer Information Technology