Windows XP/XP Start Up Issue

Question
I am using Win XP, 32-Bit, I use 2 hard drives, the 1st for the OS the other for my data..

My issue is my computer recently crashed. I did have the warning of the Blue screen of death, and so I backed up everything.

Today, it crashed a 2nd time and the symptoms are: after the HP splash screen opens and closes, nothing happens. Windows doesn't open. The 1st I had this happen, I was able to open in Safe mode and use system restore. Which worked for a few days. Then today it crashed again. I attempted the same, but Windows won't open...neither in Safe Mode, or if I put the CD in to try a recover.  After booting from the CD, it says "Set Up is starting Windows" but nothing happens. I have a blank screen.

Is there a way to correct this? Or do I need to wipe & reinstall?

Plus, Is there a reliable diagnostic software that can prevent a/o fix these things when they develop over time? I was told the best solution is to forget the diagnostic stuff and simply wipe and reinstall everything. I'm am open to your expertise on this.

Thanks in advance. I've used this site a couple times in the past and found it quite helpful.

Jim

Answer
Yes Jim you got troubles. No way to avoid it. good that you have a backup.
The symptoms suggest the motherboard or CPU going Bad.HD possible also.
After booting from the CD, it says "Set Up is starting Windows" but nothing happens. I have a blank screen. For this I would remove all hardware which can be added in after windows
is installed. I was told the best solution is to forget the diagnostic stuff and simply wipe and reinstall everything.Good advice. If you have an extra graphics card try that also.
sometimes just unplugging things and reinserting does the trick as well.
Dave

Windows XP

David Cohen