Windows XP/Administrator

Hi, could you tell my how I can become an administrator on my own PC.Running WindowsXP

Hi Dave,

There are a couple of ways to be an Administrator on your WindowsXP system, but if you are a Limited Account at this time (an account that a ‘normal’ user would have, or a child of a parent, for instance) then you cannot just ‘make yourself an administrator’ from it. I realize this might be unfortunate, but it is for good security purposes, such as a business setting or a public computer (like a library) or a parent that wants to make sure that a child or his/her friends do not accidentally install anything harmful. In either of those cases, it does not normally allow large System changes like installing programs, to try and avoid installation of anything that may cause harm (especially for a public computer, such as at a library or café, where many people (anyone) can approach the computer and use it.

If you know a person that already has an Administrator account on the WindowsXP system, they can access your account through the Control Panel (User Accounts) and clicking on your account name, they can go to Change The Account Type. In there, it’s simply a matter of clicking on the Computer Administrator radio button to select it and then finalizing it with the Change Account Type button. That’s it! You are now an Administrator of that computer.

The main way to become an Administrator of a Windows system is to have an Administrator of the system create an account for you that is not a ‘Limited’ account. Once this ‘Administrator’ account is created, you can use it to log in to the system and make system-wide sweeping changes, if you wish. This is the main method, whether you are in a home or business setting.

There is another, more nefarious way, that involves ‘hacking’ into the system and gaining Administrator-level access; but I must apologize, because due to my System Administrator Oaths that I have taken, I am not allowed to state how to do this more ‘backdoor breaking-in’ type of activity. I sincerely am sorry.

If those methods above do not work for you, and/or you do not have access to an Administrator of that system to help you, I will offer one last parting piece of advice, because in all seriousness, you may have purchased a system and can not install or remove anything from it because you do not know the Administrator’s password (as it is a second-hand, used computer). My advice in this situation would be this: Format the entire system and Reinstall Windows. I realize that sounds drastic, but not only will it clear the system of almost all virus/Trojan/malicious software, it will also allow you to create your own Administrator accounts, as many as you want, on a fresh, new WindowsXP system, ready to use.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck with it and I hope it all works out for you!

Windows XP

Troy M. MCSE, CNA, MCP, CST, IC3, Aplus

Hi there! Even though I am relatively new around here, I have been having great fun with PCs for over two decades now, becoming familiar with Windows through versions 3.x/9x/Me/2000/XP/2003/7/8/10. I enjoy helping others with what I feel is an exciting industry - computers are always changing, improving and offering new opportunities for learning. I look forward to assisting you with questions concerning Windows, how it interacts with your PC Hardware, configuration/settings or just general tips and ideas. Besides troubleshooting questions, feel free to ask the basics, as well. I will always start there, and I firmly believe that there is no such thing as a dumb question - we are all ‘Beginners’ at one time or another!

I am an A+ Certified, Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer with Computer Service Technician and LAN Administration diplomas and over 15 years direct experience with PCs including assembly, troubleshooting/support and upgrading. I have worked for retail outlets, schools and businesses, and have been an Instructor in the past as well – helping others, just like you, understand and enjoy computers!

MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer), CNA (Certified Novell Administrator), MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional), CST (Computer Service Technician (Formerly Computer Engineering Technician)(Hardware/OS servicing Diploma), IC3 (Internet and Core Computing Certification)(Hardware/OperatingSystem/Internet Fundamentals Certification), A+ (Computing Technology Industry Association Hardware/Operating System Certification)