Windows XP/Buying Ebay and Install XP to replace a Vista OS

Question
Most of the listings say to comply with Ebay regs they send along a piece of hardware as well, but I don't need that piece do I?  But also I'm concerned that even with a cd and coa that it won't install on my computer.  Sometimes they mention oem, sometimes, full retail version, sometimes even the computer manufacturer such as Dell.

My need is to do a new install while reformatting and getting rid of Vista on a computer that I bought from someone.  So was looking for guidance on that.

Answer
Art, note that Microsoft support for Windows XP will end in April 2014.
That said, when buying software be sure to get the full retail version along with
the KEY to be sure that you can install the software on your computer
and that it is properly licensed.
Carl

Windows XP

Carl Johnson