Windows XP/Buying Ebay and Install XP to replace a Vista OS

Most of the listings say to comply with Ebay regs they send along a piece of hardware as well, but I don't need that piece do I?  But also I'm concerned that even with a cd and coa that it won't install on my computer.  Sometimes they mention oem, sometimes, full retail version, sometimes even the computer manufacturer such as Dell.

My need is to do a new install while reformatting and getting rid of Vista on a computer that I bought from someone.  So was looking for guidance on that.

Art, note that Microsoft support for Windows XP will end in April 2014.
That said, when buying software be sure to get the full retail version along with
the KEY to be sure that you can install the software on your computer
and that it is properly licensed.

Windows XP

Carl Johnson

I can answer most questions concerning Windows XP. I am very interested in helping others to keep their older computers running since they can perform well if properly maintained. I am not a software or systems expert but usually can help with program applications problems also.

I am an experienced computer user and an IBM retiree who specialized in computer hardware design and manufacture.

Bachelor and Masters degrees in electrical engineering.