Windows XP/printer removal

Question
How do I forcibly remove a printer from the device list on Windows 7?  My HP 6500n is acting up, that it cannot be seen as online by wifi so I am trying to remove it.  The laptop goes through the motions of removing it, only to have it pop back up if I reload the window, and the desktop does nothing and "does not respond"  There are a couple copies showing, plus a similar HP printer I was testing and I cannot remove any of them on either computer.  After my first attempt, the remove printer button is greyed out on each device i try.
Thank You
Jeff

Answer
Hi Jeff,

Is the printer connected via USB also by any chance? Make sure it's completely disconnected and even power it off to see if it still tries to reinstall itself back. I would suggest uninstalling/removing the print driver from the Device Manager instead. Right click on Computer and go to Manager. Then click on Device Manager and look for your printer. Right click on it and select the option to uninstall it.

If all else fails, I suggest reinstalling the official drivers from HP to see if that resolves the problem. Check and confirm if this is your printer and then select Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit):

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3

Kevin.

Windows XP

Kevin Hou