Windows XP/Format a hard drive in Win XP

Hi Flinix,
I am a AllExperts tech on British cars but I am having a problem with PC stuff. I have a desk top PC with a corrupted operating system that I have not been able to correct and I want to formate the hard drive and reinstall the XP disk. I did it many years ago on Win 95 but I can't find good info on how to make a boot disk with XP and how to format. Can you help? This is XP Home Ed.

Hello Howard. I can help you out no problem.

In Windows 95, you may have used a floppy drive as a boot drive and then had it point its further actions to the CD drive for the installation. In Windows XP, that is not the case. You only need to boot the CD drive (no floppies needed).

Now I could type out 30 paragraphs of everything I would regularly say to help you further, or I could give you a link to a really well constructed guide for computer preparation, BIOS boot settings, actual installation, and finalization steps. Here is the in depth guide:

Just ignore the anti-virus program they've used (Norton) in the end as I highly recommend NOT using it. Hope that helps you out, have a great day!

Windows XP

I can answer most questions regarding installation of Windows XP, speed optimization, recommended minimal installation specifications, any hardware issues you may encounter, dual booting, best anti-virus software to go with without spending a dime, and much more. If you'd like to dual boot any Linux OS with your Windows XP, I can guide you through that as well. If it is not related to Windows XP, please choose another expert who can help you.

Experience includes repairing hundreds of desktops and laptops, upgrading some computers from Windows 7 or Vista to Windows XP (yes, this is actually an upgrade), using Linux operating systems for data recovery, diagnosis and more! I've also done capacitor repairs on motherboards with a high success rate. I regularly speed up customers computers to like new speeds or faster

Associates of Science in Computer Information Technology