Windows XP/Limited Connectivity

Question
Hi Flinix,
I have a Pentium4 PC with 1.5 gb RAM, I've been using it since about 2003. XP Pro SP2. I connect via comcast cable. I just did a fresh install dual booting with Zorin 6 as the default. First, let me say that my XP was running great. I'm really careful about malware, etc. I was having some glitches with the xp firewall and ran SFC. Immediately after running SFC /scannow it never booted again. I tried to repair with the xp disk but windows couldn't do it. I didn't want to lose important data so I created a partition and installed zorin 6 (linux)from a live disk which went flawlessly and I recovered everything. So I reinstalled xp and it works great, very snappy, almost like a linux distro---all except the internet. The first address loads quickly, the second loads slowly and the third, slower yet or not at all. I have a 192.168.1.6 IP address configured to acquire addresses automatically with DHCP enabled. When I release/renew it takes a long time and when it finishes says "little or no connectivity" on the taskbar.
When I try to "repair" the connection, it says windows could not repair the connection, it couldn't acquire an IP address. I tried repairing the IP protocol netsh etc command line and the winsock both with cmd and checked the winsock with the windows support tool kit off the disk---it passed. I have a real nice dual boot setup I'm happy with---runs great except for xp internet. The linux partition connected up to the internet immediately and runs perfectly as do all the other computers in the house which share the same cable connection. I've tried several utilities and the microsoft fixits, at least what ones I could run with no connectivity. Even though its a fresh install, I scanned it with portable AVG and portable Malware Bytes. My gut feeling is that it is related to Windows Updates--the internet worked fine before running the updates...I could uninstall but then I can't install most newer programs which require SP2. I remember when SP2 came out, there was one particular KBB update that I used to have to remove but I can't remember which one it was. Do you have any idea of which one it would be? Anyway, I would sure appreciate any help with this. Oh yeah, I'm running the latest firefox and have the exact same problem with IE. Thanks very much! Especially if you made it through all that lol.
Best,
Blue

Answer
Haha, Hello there Blue. Although your question resembles that of an essay, some of my previous answers to people have been closer to a small book. Do not worry about how big a question is. In fact I wish more questions were like yours because you actually gave a great amount of detail to help me answer your problem.

Ok, so from what you've told me, the one thing you did not mention you checked was the "Device Manager" in Windows XP. When you reinstall Windows XP, you more than likely have some device drivers missing that need to be installed. Just go to the company’s website for your drivers. So if you have a dell, go to Dell.com, HP computer, HP.com, etc.

In the Device Manager, anything with a yellow exclamation mark or yellow question mark means there is a problem with that driver, usually indicating that there was no installed driver found
(question mark) or that the driver installed for that component is the wrong driver (exclamation point).

If you do indeed see some yellow marks of any kind in the Device Manager, here is what you need to download and install for each key term.

SMBus Controller ---> Chipset driver
Network Controller --->WiFi card driver
Ethernet Controller ---> LAN port driver
Multimedia device or Audio device on **shared item** bus ---> sound/audio driver
VGA Controller ---> Video driver
PCI Communications device ---> Modem card

For your Internet connectivity, you are mostly dealing with the Ethernet Controller driver. Since internet connectivity is a problem, it would be best to get these drivers if found not installed through USB flash drive transfer from another working computer.

Now I've never heard of a Windows patch causing Internet connectivity issues, but if possible, try to download SP3 to upgrade you from SP2 using the USB flash drive transfer method. If there was a fault with a patch, going to SP3 should cover said bug, especially is the bug was something noticed by Microsoft or had enough complaints coming in about said issue.

I would like to congratulate you on moving forward to a Linux distribution. Linux is incredibly secure and when it comes to viruses, you will never have to worry about getting one. It is also something new to learn and if you like learning new things, you have made the right choice.

Just a tip for the future: If you decide you don't want to use Linux any more on that computer, you will need to get your Windows install disk and enter Recovery mode and use the command "fixmbr" without quotes to restore booting without the GRUB menu on startup. Removing Linux itself will remove a file used by GRUB to give you that menu and without restoring the MBR that Windows uses, Windows will not be initiated to boot due to a damaged GRUB. Just a tid bit for the future for ya. If you don't think you'll ever remove Linux, don't worry about this paragraph.

Hope this helps, have a great day!

Windows XP

Flinix