Windows XP/Coming changes to XP (No Support)
Hi Carl: I'm not super computer savy, hope you can give me suggestions. I have used Xp for a long time & internet explorer.
Next month I understand XP will no longer be supported & might not be safe. Can I just ad an antivirus like AVG2014 to help protect me & still be able to use XP & Explorer? Will I have to switch to Gogle Chrome? If I have to switch will I lose what I have with explorer? Sorry Carl if I don't make sense. What would you suggest. I am an elderly person knowing just enough to enjoy the commputer but not super technical stuff. Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give me. (BOB)
Bob, I still run a Windows XP computer and am planning to continue for awhile.
Here is what I have done:
1) Browser - Mozilla Firefox. Google Chrome is OK also. Both will be supported at least another year.
2) AntiVirus - Microsoft Security Essentials and Malware Bytes Anti-Malware. Both are free downloads. Find and download using Google search.
3) Mozilla Thunderbird email. Free download.
4) Uninstall Java. Go to Control Panel and click Add/Remove icon.
5) Shut browser down when not in use to disconnect from internet. Simple to do with either Chrome or Firefox. Or simply turn computer OFF when not in use.
If I can help on any of these items or any other problem, just ask.