Windows XP/Orange/Amber light

Question
I recently stared experiencing computer problems. When I would try to start the computer, turn it on that is, the light stays orange/amber looking. I read online possible problems which could cause this, so I proceeded to try and 'fix' it myself. Well, one post stated the power supply, so I installed a new one..and still, light stays orange. Could it be the motherboard or possibly the hard drive? My question is are most dell computer parts interchangeable? Could I possibly install a motherboard from another dell computer into my own? I'm trying to save money of course, and would like to fix it myself if possible. Thank you:)

Answer
Hi Robbie,

I would take a look at the motherboard to see if there are any bad capacitors. Take a look at the link below to see what they look like:

http://www.tnpcnewsletter.com/dan/Bulging_Capacitors/close-up.jpg

The parts may be interchangeable if the computer models are similar but not always. You might be able to find used Dell parts online like at eBay.

Kevin.

Windows XP

Kevin Hou