Windows XP/oxc0000005

QUESTION: Iam get a lot of oxc0000005 at boot up.Will it help to use w-xp disk to go into the
repair on the disk? IF so how do you do it without installing the complete w-xp from

ANSWER: Hi Lynwood,

The ‘05’ Error/StopCode can be a few things, depending on what some of the other words in the Stop error say,  but it was probably caused by an error resulting from either bad/corrupted/missing drivers (system files that Windows uses to talk to other programs and hardware) or possibly a hardware issue (some new device that was connected or some device that is having trouble). Using the WindowsXP disc to bootup/startup from and running the Repair utility on it is a great idea you had and will indeed help with troubleshooting the issue, especially if it is related to drivers or system files and restoring them (the first main part of the two meanings the error code can have, from above).

You can run the Repair utility without fully re-installing Windows, by putting in the disc and then making your computer start from it, instead of your hard drive. Usually, this is can be done on a usage basis by hitting a key to tell the system to read the disc in the drive. Depending on the manufacturer of your mainboard inside, it can differ, so to make sure, always check your motherboard manual (it is usually F2, F8 or F12). You’ll know it worked by a screen giving you some choices as to what to boot from, usually a list of drives the computer has detected/found.

After choosing the drive that has the WindowsXP disc in it, it will detect your hardware in a Blue background interface,  and you’ll eventually get to a Welcome To Setup screen. At this point, choose to Setup Windows Now (hit ENTER), not the Recovery Console, as that is for a slightly different purpose and you need to know the technical commands to type to make it work – we aren’t going to need that for a Repair Installation. After accepting the Agreement (hit F8), your current Windows installations will be detected and at this point hit R, because  we want to Repair the installation of Windows that is there.  The utility should check your system files and will copy any needed files from the CD. After that, it will restart and it will all be done. The only caveat here is to remember to run Windows Update to get the latest updates for the system files, as the files on the disc are older than current ones and they will need to be updated by Windows. Since it may also be related to drivers (remember: Windows files that are used to talk to your system components and devices), you can also install/reinstall drivers for your parts (soundcard, keyboard, anything that required/has device drivers).

A parting suggestion would be to run a Virus scan on the system (install one or run one from a website at least), just to make sure the problem wasn’t caused by something malicious, possibly. You can also try some basic hardware/part troubleshooting (disconnecting devices and see if the error stops coming up), if the problem isn’t solved after trying the Repair Utility. Hopefully, just running the semi-automated Repair will be the end of it though, and your system won’t Blue Screen and give you that error anymore. Good luck with it and stay positive!

QUESTION: I have set up the cd drive to boot first in the bios but did not work.
Also I cannot access many web sights in order to research the problem.
I cannot download any antivirus programs without being stopped.
Every time I try something Iam blocked?
I think this is the biggest problem...........Application failed to initialize properly  oxc0000005?

Hello again Lynwood,

That’s odd that it did not work (booting up off of the disc), but that can happen sometimes. Instead of configuring the BIOS to boot off of the cd drive, have you tried hitting the assigned function key instead? That may ‘trigger’ it to boot up off of the disc easier than going into the BIOS and making more permanent changes. Also, be sure to hit the key (whether it be F2 or F8 or F12, whatever your mainboard manual [or screen at boottime] states should be pressed) a number of times, about once every second is good, until you see either a prompt similar to “boot from cd” or Windows starting up (which means it was missed/did not take), in which case you can try again multiple times to make the system boot up from the cd drive.

If a system really cannot boot up from the ROM-drive (cd/dvd), and it isn’t a system restriction of some sort (a laptop that that can’t or a system where the main administrator/owner won’t allow it), double check the manual (and any helpful website you CAN access) for reasons why it isn’t booting up off of the cd drive. For instance, open up the case and check inside that there are no loose cables or connections and other drive troubleshooting issues can be undertaken. Can you use the cd drive ‘normally’ in Windows (does it see a disc in the drive)?

The fact that you cannot access many websites and that you cannot download/install any Anti-Virus software, points unfortunately to the fact that you may possibly have malicious programs on your system (which would also cause these errors). If that is the case, if the cd drive is operational enough (you can use it in Windows), you can backup any very important files you have to disc (family photos/videos) and then try to win back the system. While there are small utilities and other programs you could install/run to try to fight in small battles, these usually only fix specific problems (or fix certain malicious software), so I suggest trying to fight on a larger scale...

If you cannot go to any anti-virus websites for a quick online scan of the system, such as:
then you can try to purchase and install an anti-virus program from a retail outlet and use the disc that it comes with. These discs can usually be booted from and then will run an anti-virus scan not from the system (which may be infected), but from the clean environment of the disc. Unfortunately, since you seem to not be able to boot from the cd drive, you may not be able to use this solution. If you could boot from your cd drive, then this would be a next step in fighting any malicious software in your system, and it gets past the doors that are seemingly closed (not being able to visit anti-virus websites, not being able to install any AV programs to fight from within Windows after booting up, etc). It would seem to be a good idea to get the cd drive working first (or borrow a cd drive from another system or a friend’s system temporarily). Then you can do these other steps, you see.

The fact that things aren’t working in general (the error of ...0005 could be driver or hardware/device problems) usually suggests three main things: the system is corrupted (files are missing or corrupted), the system has been infiltrated by malicious software (virus/Trojan that does not allow you to go to AV/scanning websites or install AV programs to fight it), or the system is having hardware issues. Hardware issues (aging hardware or devices that are malfunctioning) can also cause these symptoms. In general, the error, the inability to properly access the network/internet, the inability to boot from the cd drive...these are also all symptoms of possible general hardware/system problems (perhaps aging hardware or malfunctioning hardware). Don’t worry, these can be solved by Troubleshooting as well.

For general system errors and problems, some first steps are:
-   Open the system and make sure there are no loose connections (power, etc)
-   While the system is open, dust out the system by spraying bursts of compressed air (from a can or air compressor tank if you have access to one). Dust on the components inside can cause excessive heat (it acts like a blanket on the chips inside) which can cause malfunctions/miscalculations, which result in errors

After these ‘first troubleshooting steps’ and similar steps  are taken, usually System File checking utilities should be run, but since you cannot boot from the cd drive to access the Repair utility from the disc, we cannot currently take that step. That’s why I currently suggest troubleshooting the cd drive, as once you can boot up the system from that, you can run the Repair utility, install/run Anti-Virus programs to clean the system, and more...

As a last resort, you can also totally ‘format’ the system (erase everything) and re-install Windows. This will unfortunately cause you to lose everything (if your cd drive is not working enough to back up your important files you wish to keep), but it will get rid of normal Trojans/viruses in the system. This last step however, requires a working cd drive, in order to startup the system from the WindowsXP disc, in order to run the Setup/Installation program.
If you have a pre-configured/pre-built system (such as Dell, etc) you can take this last step by running the Restore utility that comes with the system. This Restore utility from the vendor will still erase everything, but it will also clear any normal malicious programs from Windows and will install any drivers that may have been installed/setup from the company that assembled the system. This Restore utility will then leave the system as you first bought it, clean and ready to go. Unfortunately, these utilities run from a disc mostly, so unless there is some way to run the utility (call your Vendor/store for the system, sometimes you can boot up and press a specific key combination to start the Restore utility from a secondary partition/drive that is inside the computer), you would still need to get the cd drive up and running to do most other functions, from above.

Whew. It’s a lot to take in perhaps, but those are at least the steps you can start off with, to try and fight for your system. Some basic system troubleshooting (for hardware issues), combined with running any utilities you can (to restore the system to a condition of 'when you first bought it', if it has one, or fight any malicious programs), will start you on your way to recovering/solving this issue. As you can see, it would be very helpful to get the cd drive up and running fully (be able to boot from it, etc) in order to undertake many of the steps. For now however, you can call the vendor/manufacturer of the system (to see if they will help you, to gain instructions on how to run the Restore utility, etc) and also perhaps try to swap out the cd drive with another, if you are comfortable with that. If not, or cannot receive help from someone who is very good with computers, you can always take your system to a computer repair shop or the Service area at a retail outlet (Best Buy, etc) and they will help you as well. The price for the knowledgeable assistance however, would have to be weighed against the possibility of upgrading the system (especially if there are many hardware issues/parts with problems). Try out the steps above first - and I hope that your system is up and running fully again for you soon!

Windows XP

Troy M. MCSE, CNA, MCP, CST, IC3, Aplus

Hi there! Even though I am relatively new around here, I have been having great fun with PCs for over two decades now, becoming familiar with Windows through versions 3.x/9x/Me/2000/XP/2003/7/8/10. I enjoy helping others with what I feel is an exciting industry - computers are always changing, improving and offering new opportunities for learning. I look forward to assisting you with questions concerning Windows, how it interacts with your PC Hardware, configuration/settings or just general tips and ideas. Besides troubleshooting questions, feel free to ask the basics, as well. I will always start there, and I firmly believe that there is no such thing as a dumb question - we are all ‘Beginners’ at one time or another!

I am an A+ Certified, Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer with Computer Service Technician and LAN Administration diplomas and over 15 years direct experience with PCs including assembly, troubleshooting/support and upgrading. I have worked for retail outlets, schools and businesses, and have been an Instructor in the past as well – helping others, just like you, understand and enjoy computers!

MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer), CNA (Certified Novell Administrator), MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional), CST (Computer Service Technician (Formerly Computer Engineering Technician)(Hardware/OS servicing Diploma), IC3 (Internet and Core Computing Certification)(Hardware/OperatingSystem/Internet Fundamentals Certification), A+ (Computing Technology Industry Association Hardware/Operating System Certification)