Windows XP/XP to Linux

System & Performance
System & Performance  
QUESTION: Hi Flinix,

Because of the withdrawal of support for XP, Iím considering installing Ubuntu Linux to replace it. I saw your comments about it not being necessary to get rid of XP, but I would feel better doing that.

I have a Toshiba netbook NB200 and am running the free version of AVG antivirus software. Iíve taken screen shots of the System and Performance for your info (see attached).

I wonder if Ubuntu Linux would be the right choice for my netbook? If so, can you give me some instructions on how to install it, or would there be enough instructions with the download to tell me how to get rid of the XP operating system and install the new one? Have just installed Windows 7 on my PC and the MS instructions were fabulous!

If you think there is another OS that would suit my netbook better, I would appreciate your advice.

Many thanks,

ANSWER: Hello Lyn. Your netbook and Linux would go together very well. I have a netbook with the same specs and ran Linux flawlessly and it was pretty fast too.

I would recommend that if you want to install Ubuntu to the netbook, do not get Ubuntu netbook remix, or Ubuntu Unity. The user interfaces are very very poor (personal experience on both netbooks and full size computers) and ease of use as well as speed and accessibility are worse.

I personally would recommend Linux Mint as your operating system of choice. It is very easy to use, it is fluid and fast, and there are tons of programs and support just like there is for Ubuntu. Since you are running a netbook, I would recommend for the best performance of any Linux OS you choose to install, using KDE or XFCE desktop environment because they take less resources to run in general and will have a much snappier load on pretty much all programs and startup.

I will link you to a guide for installing Linux Mint, but regardless of what Linux OS you choose, the tutorial will work the same way with the only difference being which ISO file you acquire. You will need either an external USB DVD drive and some blank DVDs....or you will need a USB flash drive 8GB in size or better. (I actually think a 4GB flash drive will work fine, but I think the size of the later releases of some of these Linux OSs are getting bigger than what I remember.)

I will also let you know that you will need to back up any files you want to save because installing a new OS will wipe clean everything. Also, the guide below doesn't say too much in terms of how to actually install the Linux OS. Linux Mint and Ubuntu are stunningly easy to install once you have successfully booted to the install media. Once you see the screen with the options of booting, just select Boot Linux Mint/Ubuntu. It will go to the desktop from which you can then double click the icon on the desktop that says "Install Linux Mint/Ubuntu" and input all the information it asks for for the basic setup, like the keyboard layout, language, etc.

Here's the link:

Hope this helps, have a great day!

QUESTION: Hi again Flinix,

Thanks very much for getting back to me so quickly. Of course I'll take your recommendation about Linux Mint.

Am not sure what KDE or XFCE means but will Google them as I did IOS just now after having a quick look at the link you gave me. There's a bit of jargon that I don't understand, but I'll have a go at it and yell for help if I get stuck.

I have an external hard drive for backing up and have an external USB DVD drive as well as the blank DVDs. I also have spare USB sticks, so I think I'm ready to do it.

Will get back to you.
All the best,

XFCE and KDE are desktop environments. There are many of these desktop environments, some which have more animations to things like minimizing, maximizing, moving the window, some layout differences of the start menu, and then some desktop environments that are designed to not have those extra little animations, tone down the OS size, make things more snappy by requiring less to load, but can be less appealing to though who like those extra little animations and different start menu layout. Other desktop environments you may see are Gnome, Gnome 2, Gnome 3, MATE, as well as the already mentioned XFCE and KDE.

I forgot to mention, there are what seems like endless choices for Linux to choose from, so to think of another Linux distro that would work pretty good on your netbook is "Lubuntu". Lubuntu is purposely designed to let slower machines feel fast and snappy, so a netbook will also noticeably benefit.

My own instructions abbreviated:

-Download the OS you want. It will be in ISO file format.
-Download program in original guide.
-Connect USB stick before opening program.
-Open program, select the driver letter your flash drive is, then browse for the downloaded OS.
-Have program write the needed files and OS to the flash drive.
-With USB stick, plug into computer to be worked on, turn PC on and hit hit to "one time boot" or boot menu/options. (Logo screen may say hit ~key~ for setup and hit ~key~ for boot menu)
-Select the detected USB stick and hit enter.
-Boot into Linux or if option granted, boot directly to install and install following install dialog easier than installing Windows 7.
-If immediate Linux install option is not granted, simply load Linux. On the desktop, an icon to "Install Linux ~whatever version~", will bring you to the same install dialogs.

-Burn ISO file to DVD
-Place DVD in computer to be worked on and access the "boot menu" as stated in the USB instructions and select the DVD drive to boot from and hit Enter.

Have a great day!

Windows XP

I can answer most questions regarding installation of Windows XP, speed optimization, recommended minimal installation specifications, any hardware issues you may encounter, dual booting, best anti-virus software to go with without spending a dime, and much more. If you'd like to dual boot any Linux OS with your Windows XP, I can guide you through that as well. If it is not related to Windows XP, please choose another expert who can help you.

Experience includes repairing hundreds of desktops and laptops, upgrading some computers from Windows 7 or Vista to Windows XP (yes, this is actually an upgrade), using Linux operating systems for data recovery, diagnosis and more! I've also done capacitor repairs on motherboards with a high success rate. I regularly speed up customers computers to like new speeds or faster

Associates of Science in Computer Information Technology