Windows XP/service pack 3 in xp

Question
How can I tell if this is in the system?  We just bought a new word perfect program that says it will run on xp (which we have) but only if sp3 is installed.  I'm reluctant to load it for fear of a freeze or other major problem.   

Thanks,

Gene

Answer
Hi Gene,

To tell what Service Pack you have installed on XP, you just Right-Click on MyComputer (the icon on your desktop, if you have it showing; but if not, you can click on the Start Menu and then go to MyComputer and Right-Click on it in there) and choose Properties on the menu that comes up (to see “the properties of your computer”).
In the System Properties window that should show now, right in the first Tab that is displayed automatically, is the Service Pack level that you have installed (“Service Pack 3”, for example). That’s it!

As a side note, sometimes these warnings are overly-conservative. What I mean is, is that the program may still install and work without problem. Generally, they are giving that warning, so that they cannot get into trouble (read: sued) if anything goes wrong with the installation and running of the program. You can still ‘try’ it (if you really do not have access to a Requirement that is stated, for example), it just might not work. Sometimes however, applications have been written in a specific way, with specific things installed on the machines the program was developed on – and in those cases then, the software ‘really will require’ that you have a specific item installed or not. Don’t worry though, most likely what will happen is, the program will detect that you do not have something installed and will halt itself. Very rarely will there be any ‘permanent damage’ done to any files or system libraries, or large problems, when attempting to install something that may require..something else. In general it is ok to ‘try’...  Just letting you know – but you are of course even more precise/correct in attempting to get everything into shipshape before even trying – just in case.

Hopefully everything will work out for you without problem, Gene. Take care and feel free to write again.

Windows XP

Troy M. MCSE, CNA, MCP, CST, IC3, Aplus