Windows XP/windows

Question
I have windows 7 and use IE,received this fo;;owing and wondering should i be concerned about using this browser  and if so which is best in exchange Mozilla firefox or google chrome,need ur advice so any help will be appreciated and thanks
also what's a good free antivirus,or and would u recommend avast
thanks in advance

http://www.cnet.com/news/stop-using-ie-until-bug-is-fixed-says-us/?tag=nl.e497&s

Answer
The site you've linked me refers to a security bug that Internet Explorer currently is experiencing. Truth is, Internet Explorer is always the least secure web browser out of the three you've mentioned. I personally use Google Chrome as my main browser for certain setting preferences, but I usually recommend Mozilla Firefox to all of my local computer customers and when I rebuild a computer, I put Firefox as the default.

Internet Explorer is a web browser that is not only less secure on a significant level, but is also less stable (likes to crash most often), works with less web pages without errors, and is extremely finicky with the Temporary Internet Files maintenance, which when that builds up (doesn't take long), causes more stability problems and slows down considerably.

I would recommend Mozilla Firefox for most people, unless a user is already using Google Chrome and has already become comfortable with the user interface, then I recommend them to stay with Google Chrome. Long story short, Internet Explorer should be avoided at all costs. The only good Internet Explorer has is when a computer technician needs to download the installer for Firefox or Chrome, and they don't already have the installer on hand on a portable drive. Once Firefox or Chrome is installed, make sure you make one of those browsers the default browser, transfer your bookmarks, and delete the immediate shortcut icons on the desktop and quick launch so it becomes "Out of sight, out of mind". (Deleting the shortcut icons does not actually delete the program, so there is no worry there).

Yes, I recommend Avast antivirus. I have been using it for many years now. I also would recommend getting Malwarebytes and every once in a while or when you think there is an issue, do a scan with both.

Malwarebytes has a separate set of virus definitions, so it can catch those that Avast doesn't recognize. What's better is Malwarebytes runs as a manual program, not as a suite, so its processes do not slow the computer down by needing to start up when the computer starts up. It also has the advantage of not clashing with other antivirus programs. This is especially great for system speed and stability because nothing has complications with two types of the same process running at once.

An example of a bad setup would be having Avast coupled with Norton, or Avast with McAfee, or Norton with McAfee, as they are all "suite programs". Two suites never go together. Also, never use Norton and McAfee in general....they are absolute crap and just to prove they are absolute crap, the only way they can really get their business is to be promoted by the Internet Service provider, such as Comcast or AT&T. I work on computers all the time and when those two antivirus programs are on there, I always find the problems. When updating Adobe Flash player, McAfee is also promoted by Adobe and if you aren't careful, you'll automatically download McAfee into your computer for it to start doing damage. Given this, I would recommend you going to your Control Panel in Windows 7, go to "Programs and Features" and remove anything with the words "Symantec", "Norton", and "McAfee". While you're at it, look for "Search Conduit" or "Conduit Search" or anything with the word "Conduit" in its name. That by itself is a virus that I find in nearly ALL computers even brand new from the store...because it was promoted by the computer company.

Hope this all helps, have a great day!

Windows XP

Flinix