Windows XP/PDF files

Hi Richard,
         I have a file (rates account scan) which is 1.08mb. I need to reduce it to less than 600kb. How do I do that?

Q2. I need to send a pdf file to a site which requires that it is no bigger than 1200 x 1200 pixels? What does that mean and how do I do this.

I am using Windows XP Office.

Thank you.
Don Boddie,
New Zealand

Good luck. You're asking for some pretty outstanding compression there. You can try WinZip or WinRAR. They're sometimes able to get much better compression than the default Windows ZIP utility. However, if they need you to upload the file as a PDF, then that won't help you much. Pixel sizes are usually reserved for IMAGE files, not PDFs, but I believe you can set the size of the PDF when you create it. I'm not really a PDF expert. I usually only use it for sharing documents that are 8.5" x 11".

Windows XP

Richard Rost

I am happy to answer any questions about how to USE Microsoft Windows XP. Also, please be sure to check the Windows Tips & Tricks and Windows XP Tutorials sections of my web site.

I have been using Windows XP since it first came out. I have been teaching Windows (all versions) in the classroom since 1994, and online through computer tutorials since 2002.

I have been volunteering on AllExperts in the categories of Microsoft Access, Visual Basic, and Weight Loss for many months now.

I have created a line of computer tutorials online at and

Personally, I am self taught. I've learned everything I know from books and trial & error. If I don't know the answer, I know how to find it.

I have over 20,000 happy clients worldwide.