Windows XP/firefox download

I started to get annoying advertising yesterday which is apparently due to google chrome I have been using a couple of weeks since my old xp explorer has been giving me problems.  These popups advertising come up when I am looking for something else and don't go away when I x them typically.  I went to the first site when indicating Mozilla and it has apparently hooked me up with some miserable creature  Astromedia that won't go away even after going into my computer and deleting it.  I get the impression that the various viral removals are worthless and may make it worse.  Is there any way I can get rid of this#$%^&*()_+ per your advice?? If you can't then please provide me with where I can find them and I will be on their doorstep as a public service to prevent them from this shit doing to anyone else.

Greetings Clem,

Hehe, yes these things can be very annoying sometimes. Although this is not directly a WindowsXP question (WindowsXP malfunctioning, connecting multiple printers, crashing, etc) I would be happy to give some ideas to try and start you out.

I am sorry but I must begin with assuming that you meant to type “Astromenda”, which is a nuisance to WindowsXP users, where “Astromedia” is used by multiple legitimate companies as their name or services offered.

As far as Astromenda goes, there can be multiple ways it has ‘gotten it’s hooks’ into you, but the main way is usually some form of Browser Hi-Jacking, where it takes over your internet viewer (Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc) and send you to ‘their page’ to start surfing, do searches, or it just inundates the user with advertisements that are embedded or pop up.

Google has an informative page on viruses and how they may have gotten into the system, here:
While that page starts out somewhat ‘basic’ and is more about how such a thing occurs in the first place, there is a nice list of Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware programs at the bottom of the page that is very useful. One of the paths you can try, to remove this malicious software, is to install and run one (or even two) of those removal/protection programs – don’t worry, many of them are completely free!

There are other applications as well, that are smaller and a little more designed to target specific infections that are out there, such as Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (found here: ) and Adware Cleaner (found here: ). Some are very quick and easy to use, such as the latter of these two, which can simply be downloaded to a folder somewhere and run once, then it has done all it can. If you are going to try this more ‘streamlined’ route, I suggest installing and running Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware first, then Adwcleaner second. Another good little streamlined application is Combofix (found here: ), which is also easy to use – and there is a link to it’s guide on how to run it, just in case, at the address there.

You can also run some virus scans without installing any programs, at online sites such as Housecall by Trend Micro (at: ) and Eset’s online scanner (here: ). These are more general types of approaches, but usually work just fine, especially if you have some particularly malicious Trojan that will not allow you to ‘install’ any anti-virus programs onto the system (it may recognize them and block them from working).

There are other things you can do too, such as restoring a Backup that you may have of your system. If you had a Full System Backup Image (for example, one huge compressed file that has everything in it), you could simply Restore the latest version of it – one that had your browser working fine and no problems in it – if you were making backups on a regular basis (don’t worry, most home users usually do not, it’s ok). And at the very end of the spectrum, if nothing else works at all, no matter what you try – you can always [at the very least/last] Format the hard drive and Reinstall Windows, resulting in a fresh, clean, fast-running version of WindowsXP that will be safe and free from harm (after getting all possible updates as soon as possible). Viruses/Trojans that infect the actual chips/hardware that starts up the computer inside, are still relatively rare, and this last step of 'nuking' everything can kill almost all infections possible (back up family photos/work data/etc that you want to keep first, of course!).

I would also add on the idea of stopping by the Support Forum for Firefox/Mozilla (or whatever browser/program is infected), as they would have more specific approaches to their programs too, ideas of things to try and clean it out, from their point of view – and there can be a lot of knowledgeable users there as well. Hopefully these ideas will at least start you off though, Clem. Good luck with it!

Windows XP

Troy M. MCSE, CNA, MCP, CST, IC3, Aplus

Hi there! Even though I am relatively new around here, I have been having great fun with PCs for over two decades now, becoming familiar with Windows through versions 3.x/9x/Me/2000/XP/2003/7/8/10. I enjoy helping others with what I feel is an exciting industry - computers are always changing, improving and offering new opportunities for learning. I look forward to assisting you with questions concerning Windows, how it interacts with your PC Hardware, configuration/settings or just general tips and ideas. Besides troubleshooting questions, feel free to ask the basics, as well. I will always start there, and I firmly believe that there is no such thing as a dumb question - we are all ‘Beginners’ at one time or another!

I am an A+ Certified, Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer with Computer Service Technician and LAN Administration diplomas and over 15 years direct experience with PCs including assembly, troubleshooting/support and upgrading. I have worked for retail outlets, schools and businesses, and have been an Instructor in the past as well – helping others, just like you, understand and enjoy computers!

MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer), CNA (Certified Novell Administrator), MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional), CST (Computer Service Technician (Formerly Computer Engineering Technician)(Hardware/OS servicing Diploma), IC3 (Internet and Core Computing Certification)(Hardware/OperatingSystem/Internet Fundamentals Certification), A+ (Computing Technology Industry Association Hardware/Operating System Certification)