Windows XP/Boot sector virus

Question
Hello
At the present time I have puppy linux on the computer.
At bootup it says: Boot sector error.continue  yes or no?
It also had this when w-xp was installed and I thought by putting puppy on it ,it would get red of the boot sector virus.

Answer
Hi Lynwood,
It is possible that you have a boot sector virus but it is unlikely.  Windows and Linux prepare the hard drive for use in different ways. When you installed Linux anything that was on the hard drive was deleted when you installed Linux.

My guess is that the hard drive it self is failing. Download the hard drive manufactures diagnostic utilities and run them to make sure the hard drive is still healthy.  You can also use these utilities to erase the hard drive. This will get rid everything on the drive including the boot sector and any viruses on the hard drive.

Windows XP

Computers Unlimited LLC