Windows XP/XP home crashes on bootup

Question
QUESTION: Hi,
I have XP home on a P4 Dell from 2005.  The other day I tried to install Daemon tools and the PC crashed during the install. I want to delete any files that were installed because the PC seems a little less stable since then.  What is the best way to do this?  I saw a Daemon tools file in msconfig under startup programs.  I unchecked the file, but I want to delete this and all files associated with Daemon tools.
I've had a crashing problem before this.  I would get this at the blue screen of death "driver irql_less_or_not_equal".

thanks for your help,
Scott S.

ANSWER: If any part of program left behind parts of itself, such as program files that would be used for the operation of its functions, traces will be left in multiple places. These places include temp directories, actual installation directory, and the registry.

If you want to remove as much as possible, follow the guide I am about to link you. The guide is made in a Windows 7 environment, but the steps are the same between XP and Windows 7. http://daemon-help.com/en/installation/manual_uninstallation

The blue screen relating to "driver irql_less_or_not_equal" is a good indication that the virtual driver from Deamon Tools is corrupted since the computer crashed during installation.

I would take the time to look in your Device Manager while uninstalling Deamon Tools manually to see if any drivers have a yellow exclamation point or yellow question mark. If so, I would follow this next guide to getting rid of any blue screens related to driver problems. Link to next guide here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/updatedriverxp.htm . I would also check for conflicting drivers, such as two video drivers of different cards.

Hope this helps, have a great day!

QUESTION: Hi,
I didn't see any yellow exclamation points or yellow marks when I checked the drivers.  I also get a keyboard failure in safe mode every time, but not in normal XP mode.  I tried a different keyboard and it still didn't work in safe mode.  Do you know of a good program to check the cpu/motherboard?  I almost always have to boot it twice.  Maybe something gets hot and it works?  Just a guess.

thanks a lot for your help,
Scott S.

Answer
Some of these symptoms could refer to a motherboard issue. Dell computers around this age tend to have blown capacitors on the motherboard. This can be checked with a physical examination. There is no program that can check for blown capacitors, so a physical check is all you can do anyway.

Here is an image that can help you identify a good and bad capacitor. http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/3/8/4/8/2/7/webimg/458360537_o.jpg

Hope this helps, have a great day!

Windows XP

Flinix