Windows XP/resending followup ?

QUESTION: I don't know why my original message was resent-maybe I pressed the wrong key or something is haywire in one of your systems.  I had thanked you for your advice about downloading service pack 3 and commented that it was interesting there was a way to download it apparently directly from Microsoft that is not available in the usual way by consumers since XP support ended.I wonder that they make it available at all for anyone rather than just those savvy enough to know how to do it?
My other ? was why with some downloads such as this one there is no option to run it on the site, just to save it which then requires going to search downloads for it and run it from there?  Once this is done is there any reason not to delete it from the download area possibly to free up space?  Thanks again.

ANSWER: Hi Clem,

About the “original message”, there is a button here at the site that makes it easy to just press “This is a duplicate/this has been answered” and it goes 'back'. I didn't actually 'write' anything as a reponse though, I hope it didn't seem/sound to abrupt, heh. I don't know what it gives as an automated reply, sorry. I hope it wasn't an inconvenience for you, on your end.

About the “option to run it on the site”, it may depend on what Browser you are using (that is, what program you are using to look at Pages/Websites on the Internet). For example, that page (with Service Pack 3 on it, at Microsoft's website) only came up with a Download option, if I was using Firefox to browse the Net, but it came up with other options if I used Internet Explorer to browse the site (it suggested I use Automatic Windows Updates – but that would not work in XP, of course). If I used  Google's Chrome to go to the site, it only gave a  message of where to save the file (as a Download).

You can actually configure whatever Browser you are using, to allow you to choose where to save the files. In the options of the Browser, it will have something like “Always Save Files to 'Downloads' (a folder on your computer)” or “Ask me where to save files”. If you choose the second option, it will prompt you, when a file starts to 'come down the pipe' as to where you want it to go on your system. This might help with finding the files later (as opposed to it always going to into one large 'Downloads' folder on your computer, so you have to go find it in that, afterward).

It also depends on the website. Some websites (just in the way they work), will show you files within the browser, and some websites will not show anything, but will ask you “where do you want to download this file to?” and that is the only option. So seeing a choice or not, is a combination of how your browser is set up, and how the website is set up to work for people viewing it.

By the way, even if it says to “just run it” and not “save it first”, it is actually still downloading it and saving it to your system – it is just saving it to a temporary location and running it from there (on your computer) and then it deletes itself. So, anytime you are given a choice to Run or Download, if you choose “Run” and NOT “Download”, it is actually sending it to your computer anyway, you just will not have anything to 'keep' or look at later. It is being automatically deleted after the installation.

If you decided to “Save/Download” something and then delete it later (after you are done installing the program, as an example), there is no real harm to forcefully deleting it. The only real drawback is that you cannot easily “run that file again”, you would have to “go get it” and download it again. But that's about it, with the way installations are these days. Installation files (for programs, updates from Microsoft, etc) are actually like dufflebags, full of files inside, and they open themselves to set up the program (Install it) and then close themselves up again, deleting the files they temporarily took out. If you 'throw out the dufflebag', the program is still installed in your system and will have all the source files it needs to run (after the install process is over) in the location that you installed it to. Deleting the original downloaded 'package' will not harm anything about the program (it will not harm the individual files that were installed to run the application).
[I hope my attempt at an example in the paragraph above was not too confusing, heh]

I hope that helps explain it though, Clem. You can feel comfortable, whether you delete the original file you downloaded, or keep it to run again later, it's totally up to you.

Sorry you are not well. Just got diagnosed with lung CA and can't sleep for more than 2 hrs at a clip. Anyway, I wonder if there is any downside to deleting the download sit after I have gotten what I wanted out of it to run? Just out of curiosity have you ever run across a switch between the @ and " on the keyboard?  My son gave me this computer and both the original one and another I had do the same thing whereby I have to use the @ key for " and vice versa.  Apparently the windows 8 is some sort of bootleg which no doubt explains this, but it is so peculiar I just wonder if this is the way Bill and Melinda to punish those who try to subvert their system

Hello again Clem,

Thank you for your kind words. I am sleeping more these days, but still not 'normal' hours, yes. Initially, I could only sleep 2-3 hours – you have MY sympathy, unmet friend!

As to your question about deleting the downloads after installing them, etc. No, there is no downside, other than you will have to download them again perhaps (if you ever want to use them again). After they install, all needed files are usually placed where they need it (their “installation directory”).

As for the @ and “ being reversed, it may be that your system is utilizing a different Language or Region. To change the Language for a Windows system, the steps (from Microsoft) are here:
Hopefully, that's all that it is (for the symbols being reversed). I have had that happen in the past, as well, heh.

Take care of yourself, Clem

Windows XP

Troy M. MCSE, CNA, MCP, CST, IC3, Aplus

Hi there! Even though I am relatively new around here, I have been having great fun with PCs for over two decades now, becoming familiar with Windows through versions 3.x/9x/Me/2000/XP/2003/7/8/10. I enjoy helping others with what I feel is an exciting industry - computers are always changing, improving and offering new opportunities for learning. I look forward to assisting you with questions concerning Windows, how it interacts with your PC Hardware, configuration/settings or just general tips and ideas. Besides troubleshooting questions, feel free to ask the basics, as well. I will always start there, and I firmly believe that there is no such thing as a dumb question - we are all ‘Beginners’ at one time or another!

I am an A+ Certified, Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer with Computer Service Technician and LAN Administration diplomas and over 15 years direct experience with PCs including assembly, troubleshooting/support and upgrading. I have worked for retail outlets, schools and businesses, and have been an Instructor in the past as well – helping others, just like you, understand and enjoy computers!

MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer), CNA (Certified Novell Administrator), MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional), CST (Computer Service Technician (Formerly Computer Engineering Technician)(Hardware/OS servicing Diploma), IC3 (Internet and Core Computing Certification)(Hardware/OperatingSystem/Internet Fundamentals Certification), A+ (Computing Technology Industry Association Hardware/Operating System Certification)