Windows XP/Ref: Question

Question
error message
error message  
Good day
While copying 1000's of folders and files from a external portable drive to my laptop, I encounter error message - hinting file(s) are too long and cannot be copied. This happens at when all of the files to be copied are not still copying. Once I get the error message, the rest of the files to be copied is unable to be copied. For example if 50% of files are copied and I get the error message, I end up losing the other 50% files since the copying stalls once I get the error message.
Since there are 1000's of long files, it cannot be done manually. Can you recommend a few quick solutions that can be used to fix this issue or shorten files automatically.
Attached are two screen shots; one of the error message and the other showing the files to be copied stalling.

Answer
The best method for this would to be to run a bulk renaming program. The screenshot you've sent me shows an impressively long file name. I see your concern being it impossible to rename the 1000's of files. That would be simply too time consuming.

Here ( http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php ) is a small utility that would let you bulk rename files and folders quickly based on certain properties and criteria. I don't know how well that will make things for identifying the files for later access, but it should successfully allow you to transfer everything smoothly after working with the program.

Hope this helps, have a great day!

Windows XP

Flinix