Windows XP/When saving jpg pic's from email or the net it is saved as a MS-DOS Application

When saving jpg pic's from email or the net it is saved as a  MS-DOS Application

I can rename it to a jpeg, and it comes up fine.  How can I correct this?  

When you say that the jpeg comes up fine, I assume that you mean that the photo editor being used is able to open the jpeg. Most editors include a setup checklist of photo types which can be selected by the user. Perhaps if jpg was selected/checked on this list, the photo editor
would then open a jpg file?

Windows XP

Carl Johnson

I can answer most questions concerning Windows XP. I am very interested in helping others to keep their older computers running since they can perform well if properly maintained. I am not a software or systems expert but usually can help with program applications problems also.

I am an experienced computer user and an IBM retiree who specialized in computer hardware design and manufacture.

Bachelor and Masters degrees in electrical engineering.