Windows XP/System restore won't work

I have XP Home and system restore doesn't work at all.  I tried to reinstall it, but it says Windows\INF\i386 file is gone.  Do you have a link where I could get that file?  That is if you think I should reinstall it with this method.  The PC is a Dell P4 from 2005 (Prescott cpu) I have XP home with SP3.  I only have the system recovery disc that I made and I don't think it has any service packs.

thanks for your help,
Scott S.

I do not recommend installing Windows using a system recovery disk. The file missing error is just one file it is missing. The process to feed the said file into the installer would be very tedious, annoying, and long to perform. The next problem is since the installer only knows it can't find that file at the time of attempted install, there may be many files that are missing that the installer hasn't notified of you yet since it simply stops at the one you are asking me about right now.

The best way to reinstall Windows is to acquire an OEM copy of Windows XP for the type (Home, Premium, Professional, Media Center Edition, etc) that the COA sticker on the computer itself has. You can then install the Windows XP onto the computer and reactivate Windows genuinely with the COA sticker code on the computer itself.

Also, installing using an OEM disk will provide a much cleaner system install than a system restore disk. System restore disks usually include all the bloatware files and programs that you most definitely do not want in your computer in the first place.

Hope this helps, have a great day!

Windows XP

I can answer most questions regarding installation of Windows XP, speed optimization, recommended minimal installation specifications, any hardware issues you may encounter, dual booting, best anti-virus software to go with without spending a dime, and much more. If you'd like to dual boot any Linux OS with your Windows XP, I can guide you through that as well. If it is not related to Windows XP, please choose another expert who can help you.

Experience includes repairing hundreds of desktops and laptops, upgrading some computers from Windows 7 or Vista to Windows XP (yes, this is actually an upgrade), using Linux operating systems for data recovery, diagnosis and more! I've also done capacitor repairs on motherboards with a high success rate. I regularly speed up customers computers to like new speeds or faster

Associates of Science in Computer Information Technology