Wine/1959 Rioja Santiago "Yago" chablis

Mike wrote at 2013-11-26 21:04:25
Yesterday I found a similar dark green square bottle with some raffia wicker cane work surrounding it and a faded gold thick plastic neck seal.  The label was damaged but it clearly reads "vino licoroso a˝ejo extra de Yago".  It appears on the label that it won an award at the Competicion Internacional de Degustacion de Montpellier in 1964 or 1965 at the "Foire Internationale de la vigne et de le vin". It also states that it won a Diplome. It is signed by directeur. It is awarded to "Yago Bodegas, Rioja Alta",  for its "vin Rouge, anee 1955"

The best news is that on opening it, while the cork disintegrated, a beautiful dark licour decanted which had a wonderful full sweet, port-like aroma and an equally delicious taste!

I have stored it, for the moment, in a sealed glass decanter in a darkened cupboard. I am eagerly awaiting responses to my question - what is it? Is it safe to drink?

Replies here and also copy to email address below.

Finally, thank you for creating this thread and the possibility of exploring this subject.

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.