Wine/Korbel Champagnes Commemorative 12-Liter Bottle

Andrew wrote at 2008-11-14 00:55:59

About a year ago, my friend turned 21 and purchased one of the 12L Millenium Korbel's from Kroger for $500 including the box and book. It had been sitting upright on the top of the wine aisle on display out of the box in constant florescent light (it's a 24 hour store) for at least as long as I've been going to that store, presumably several years. I'll admit that none of us are wine experts, but on his birthday, we had a party of about 15 people and drank it. It surely wasn't 'bad,' and definitely better than some other newer sparkling wine I've had. Needless to say, we were all smashed by the end, but it was a great night. I'd say go ahead and drink it if you want to, it should be fine.

Cindy wrote at 2013-02-06 23:45:25
Hi ... I know this is an old question, but David I have to tell you that Korbel produces fine methode champenoise ~ fermented in the bottle, cork finished and aged.  it is a sparkling wine and yes fine champagnes come from Epernay and Riems in France, but this is our California version that you should be proud of if you are from the US.  Korbel is not cheap fizz, shame on you.

You need to read up

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.