Wine/1979 baron philippe de rothschild mouton cadet

Graeme wrote at 2013-04-13 13:30:42
Under normal circumstances I would have agreed with David. But last night I had a bottle of this wine and vintage (it was brought along by a friend who hoped it was a good wine) and we agreed at least to check it out. Although the cork almost completely disintegrated, the top half inch held good and with some careful decanting I was able to get a mainly clear wine out. To my great surprise the wine was not oxidised and was drinkable - even enjoyable. I would still agree that it has no commercial value, but it might just be worth trying as a curiosity. Just don't be surprised or upset if it turns out to be undrinkable.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.