Wine/ID year and value Mateus Rose

Darrel wrote at 2013-07-04 22:11:32
I was flying transport planes through the Azores 1n1958 and picked up many bottles of Rose Mateus for people back in the U.S.  I also drank numerous bottles while there. It was one of my favorites.  One of the problems I found with this excellent wine was that it did not "travel" well and lost a lot of its flavor when moved about.  I tried drinking it when I got out of the Air Force and realized it was not the wonderful wine I had tasted in Portugal.  A wine connoisseur explained to me that the "travel" problem was very common with this wine.  It's too bad, because I really enjoyed it during my travels in Portugal.  

David Baines

I can answer all questions relevant to wines, spirits, and liqueurs from any region of the world, and give valuations on them.

I have owned a wine import and retail business, I have compiled many wine lists, and at present value wines etc for a british auction house.

The BII, IFL, WSET, Institute of Hospitality.

WSET Wine Educator, Cert ed, Fellow of the British Institute of Innkeeping and the Institute of Hospitality.

I gained the Best Dressed Off Licence in the UK award in the early 1980s, this was the first time it was awarded, for wine knowledge etc.

Iceland Foods, Butcombe brewery, Harvey Nichols, Las Iguanas, University of Bath, Co-operative society, Bath Spa Hotel, Royal Crescent Hotel,