Wine/1993 Merlot Still Good?

Would a bottle of Merlot from 1993 still be good in 2012 or should I toss it?

Hi Annabel

It all depends on the producer and the storage conditions. If it is has been stored in a very cool, dark place; that's a good thing.  And it if comes from one of the really good producers such as Duckhorn, Sterling, or the chateaux of Pomeral, then it is probably still pretty good.

If it is a more commercial bottling, or it has been stored in at 70 degrees or more, then it is probably quite tired and faded.

But it won't hurt you.  I'd suggest opening it up and giving it a try.  It could be lovely and soft and delicate...or it could be completely faded and tired.  Just have a back-up bottle on hand, and you'll be fine!

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.