Wine/Blueberry Wine

Hello Jessica!  Can you tell me about blueberry wine? Never had I heard of it until I saw an article about Korea.  The North Koreans evidently have a shop at that border station they maintain  with the South, and they sell there BLUEBERRY WINE.  Is it available in North America?  Is there something peculiar about its manufacture that it seems to be so rare?  THANKS.

Hi Ken,

Wine can actually be made from any fruit, grapes are just the typical ones. Just like any other agricultural product, the best wine is made where the ingredients thrive. So for blueberries, two U.S. States that come to mind are New Jersey and Maine. Production is very similar to grape wine, the blueberries undergo a crushing, pressing and fermentation process. The taste will vary and most likely be less astringent (less tannins) and have higher sugar levels than grape wine. I have done some research and found a couple of good wineries listed below that ship as well.

Thank you,

Jessica Fialkovich

I can address questions from wine basics to the more advanced aspects of the industry including grape varietals, winemaking regions, winemaking techniques, viticulture and growing practices, sales and marketing strategies, industry statistics, and history.

In 2009, I founded a premium wine retail establishment in Naples, Florida. After going it to the top shop in the local market and gaining national presence, the business was sold in 2012. I am currently serving as a wine consultant, educator, writer, and media contributor.

Society of Wine Educators

Current contributions:; Past contributions: Fox 4 News Fort Myers,, Naples Daily News, Pulse Magazine, 239Spot Magazine

Wine and Spirits Education Trust, Diploma Level Student; Wine and Spirits Education Trust, Advanced Level, With Distinction; Wine and Spirits Education Trust, Intermediate Level, With Distinction; Society of Wine Educators, Certified Specialist of Wine

Forty under Forty, Gulf Coast Business Review, Southwest Florida, US