Wine/bottle of 1963 port

Can you please advise me of a bottle of Delaforce sons & co Oporto Finest Vintage Port 1963.  My friend's mother died recently and a wide selection of wines, Madeira D'Oliveriras, Reserve Verde L'ho Medeira Rutherfor and Miles Ltd Funchal, Merlot Cabernet VIeill En FIers De Chene and Sigle Rioja Crianze 1997 085617.

My friend has used a bottle of two before to cook with and I feel the ones listed could be collectable.  

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your help.

Hi Edith,

Delaforce was an old-established family firm of Port shippers until they sold-out to IDV in 1968, when it became a sister to the better-known Croft until both passed to Taylor-Fonseca, now the Fladgate partnership, in 2001.

Thus this bottle has a distinguished heritage, is from a very fine vintage and should create  considerable collector interest if offered at a specialist wine auction. Replacement wouldn't be possible nowadays but I think you could expect to pay £50/100 for another bottle if you could find one.

I suggest your friend recovers everything from her kitchen pending professional appraisal, perhaps by Ross's in Belfast (, as she could be in danger of making some very fine sauce!

Or, in Scotland, McTear's in Glasgow ( or Bonham's in Edinburgh ( should be able to help. (Not on the East Coast, I know, but I don't know any wine auctioneers who are!)

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.