Wine/champagne drikability

hi david we have a bottle of pommery and greno we had on our wedding day in 1972 there is no year on it but letters on bottom are n.m.3.633.322 it appears cloudy when put up to the light is yhis still worth drinking.cheers. alex

Hi Alex,

This is now very old for a non-vintage Champagne and the cloudiness you mention doesn't bode well I'm afraid.

This wouldn't harm you if you wanted to try it but be prepared for a disappointing experience, with a flabby nose and palate compounded by off flavours.

There'd be nothing to loose though as it would be difficult to sell a bottle in this condition.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.