Wine/Chateau Montrose wine

When we moved into our home, we found a bottle of wine in the attice.  It was wrapped in dark paper and in a paper bag.  I have stored it in the dark paper and on its side.  

This is what the label says:
Chateau Montrose
L. Charmolue
Mis en Bouteille au Chateau

The label is a little worn and has a medallion on the top that says medaille d'or grande medaille ministerielle 1871.

What can you tell me about this wine.

It seems like have found a very historic bottle. Located in the Medoc village of St. Estephe, Chateau Montrose is a Cru Classe Second Growth, so named in the famous 1855 Classification which at the time made it one of the top dozen or so Bordeaux wines. Over the centuries it has maintained a top reputation and is today a very desirable wine. Louis Charmolue acquired the property from his father-in-law in 1896 and today it remains in the Charmolue family. 1898 was one year shy of two superb vintages (1899 and 1900) and was very uneven in quality, which limits its value and collectibility. Also, storage in the attic would preclude any possibility that it might still be drinkable. However, it's possible that a collector might find it interesting for historic reasons. If you so choose you might contact an auction house as to its viability.  

Joshua Farrell

I can answer most any question about wine- types, styles, grape varieties, regions, vintages, proper storage, production, wine and food pairing, wine service, decanting, proper glassware, serving temperatures etc. Regarding questions about specific bottles of wine, since I live in the U.S. my focus is on wines imported here. I can't answer questions about spirits and liquor valuations.

I have over 20 years of experience. I was a wine buyer and sommelier in NYC for many years including 4 years at Windows on the World which was NY's number one wine restaurant. I created and taught a Wine Appreciation Course at Borough of Manhattan Community College. I have worked for the past 15 years for the Wine Enthusiast Cos. as Editor, Columnist, Wine Storage Consultant and am currently Wine Director and Buyer for their online wine website, I recently judged in the Finger Lakes International Wine Competition. Follow me on Twitter @WEX_Josh

Wine Enthusiast Magazine, Diversions Magazine

Windows on the World Wine School- completed all courses from beginning to advanced. Former member of the Sommelier Society of NY. Competed in the Food and Wines of France Sommelier Competition. Traveled to wine regions in Europe including, Bordeaux, Rhone Valley, Alsace, Tuscany, Piedmont, Veneto, Rioja, and Jerez. Visited wine regions in NY's Finger Lakes, California's Sonoma, Napa and Central Coast and Oregon's Willamette Valley.