Dear Paul,

I've just bought in an auction house this very old Cognac bottle (please find pics attached).

Could you please help me find out the approximate vintage (or period it has been bottled) ?

This was sold as a "Cognac Eminence Briand" ; can it be the Gaston Briand winery ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Best regards from France,

HI Fred

Wow!  What a great bottle!  I think this was produced under the name Cognac Briand, which was a brand name of the Jules Robin company.  They produced a Cognac called Eminence, and this is clearly the special reserve of that brand.  

Jules Robin was acquired by Martell & Co back in the mid-1960s' but this bottle is certainly older than that. They typically used this bottle with the over-sized base for their fine Cognacs.

I've seen bottle of this for sale in Germany for about $150 Euros...they gave a date in the early 1800s, but I don't know if that is true...and I certainly don't know if it ever sold for that price!

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.