Wine/old wine

Question
I have two bottles of volnay 1999 wine and I'm wondering if its still ok to drink and what's the best ways to tell? I also work for a distribution company that has alot of out dated wine that I can buy. What or how is the best way to check if the bottle is still good

Answer
Hi Nick

That's a really tough question.  First of all, I am going to assume that your storage conditions at the distributor are really good:  cool, dark and quiet.  So at least we don't have to worry about heat, light, or vibration spoilage.

Then we have to talk about the wines in general.  Most wines are not made for aging, but for drinking upon release.  But there are a few wines that will hold up well over time, and a few that will actually improve with age.  IN the first category, you can expect better quality red wines from most countries to hold up to five to ten years of storage.  They'll lose a little of their fruit, gain a little complexity, and still be somewhat interesting.

But there are also a few wines that will really improve with age.  Among the whites, the list is quite short--only the very best whites from Burgundy and German Rieslina will do well in these conditions, and even those are a bit of risk.  Top Champagnes will also do OK.

Among the red wines, the top of the list would be classified Growth Bordeaux, Barolos, the top wines in Burgundy, and some of the better wines from the new world:  Cabernet from Napa and top Shiraze from Australia.  

Dessert wines will also usually hold up just fine:  Sauternes, Port, Madeira, and Tokaji all age beautifully.

Now let's talk about your Volnay.  Without knowin the producer, it's hard to say, but this is now pushing the limit for most Volnays.  SO the only way to really tell is to open the bottle and try it.  You can search for the wine on-line--sometimes you'll find a recent tasting note that will give you good information.  Otherwise, it is a bit of a crap shoot.

IF you have a complete list, I'd be happy to take a look at it and at least break it into three sections:  wines past their prime, wines that should be great....and a bunch of wines that will fall somewhere in the middle!

Hope that helps.

Paul Wagner

Wine

Paul Wagner