Wine/Pincess Diana Wedding Champagne

Question
Lady Di Bottle 1
Lady Di Bottle 1  

Lady Di Bottle 2
Lady Di Bottle 2  
Hello,

I have six bottles of this Veuve Cliquot Ponsardin Champagne. The label says 1975. On the back label of the bottle, it states that this was a special champagne intended for Prince Charles and Princess Diana's wedding.

I was hoping you could give me a little guidance as to what the collector market and value for a bottle like this would be worth.

I have attached photos.

Thank you

Answer
HI Pete

Yep--this is famous stuff.  But it's getting a bit old now...and It wasnt' made to age forever; it was made to drink at the wedding!  Unless it has been stored in perfect conditions: very cool, dark, and quiet, it well be past its prime.  Even the best Champagnes begin to show their age after twenty-five years, and this one is now beyond that point.

I wish I could tell you that it was fabulously valuable, but wine collectors haven't really searched this one out.  YOu might get a Princess Di fan to pay more, but I doubt you could sell this for $100 a bottle to a wine connnoisseur.

It is also illegal in the USA for private individuals to sell alcoholic beverages...so that would complicate matters.  Even in the UK, I think you'd need to go through a retailer or auction house---and they would collect a sizeable commission.

Sorry that I can't give you better news.

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner